HISTORY OF THE WESTERN STAR
Founded April 4, 1900, the Star became a daily in 1954 and celebrated its 109th birthday in 2009.
The Western Star is western Newfoundland's only daily newspaper, with a weekly circulation of about 52,500, half within Corner Brook and the rest distributed over a wide area, from Labrador and the Northern Peninsula in the north to Port aux Basques on the southwest corner and east to Springdale and Baie Verte.
The Star originated in Birchy Cove (Curling), a community which has since amalgamated with Corner Brook, and the offices moved a couple of times before landing in 1980 at its present home, 106 West Street.
Our primary markets are the Bay St. George region, including the town of Stephenville, the Humber Valley region, which includes the towns of Deer Lake and Pasadena, and the Bay of Islands, including Corner Brook. Our principal market area has a population of about 45,000.
Montreal-based Transcontinental Media is the present owner of The Western Star; they purchased the Star from CanWest in August 2002.