ST. GEORGE'S — Two daughters of a former radio operator at the Ernest Harmon Air Force Base in Stephenville, along with their husbands are enjoying yet another trip to the Bay St. George area.
The four were taking advantage of a free tour of the K'taqmkuk Mi'kmaw Museum in St. George's on Aboriginal Awareness Day and Debbie Johnson, who is director of Smith Trahern Mansion, built in 1858 in Clarksville, Tenn. was especially interested in the architecture of the museum building, a former RCMP detachment and courthouse.
Johnson is the daughter of Frank Trice, who was the radio operator that worked in a small building on Utah Drive; and her sister, Donna Wilson was also visiting, along with Debby's husband Jessie Johnson and Donna's husband John Wilson.
The Wilson's live in Waldorf, Md.
The Trice family lived in Stephenville for four years, from September 1959-62.
The sisters keep returning to the Bay St. George area as they love it's history, especially that of Sandy Point, where they visit on their trips.
"It's just amazing here in the museum too, to see the woven baskets and the animals that are all part of the display," Debby said.
The family also visits Trixie Hines, whose husband the Late Frank Hines befriended them when they lived in Stephenville when he painted their apartment. They became longtime friends with Trixie and her son Kenny Hynes and his wife Cavell.
Their dad, who is still living, has returned to the area since leaving in the early 60's and the two sisters are on their sixth visit.