The Department of Fisheries and Oceans said today a number of rivers on the west coast and central part of the province, in Zone 13, have re-opened to angling.
Other rivers in west coast Zone 14A and Central Zone 4, will reopen Friday morning.
The department says improved environmental conditions have allowed the reopening of the rivers that were — along with many others — shut down to angling earlier this month because of low water levels and warm water temperatures.
The following rivers reopened this morning.
In Zone 13:
• 135. Bear Cove River, including Billy’s Pond Brook;
• 136. Little Codroy River, including Cooper’s Brook, Southern Brook & Western Brook;
• 137. Great Codroy River, including Broom Brook, Ryan’s Brook & Mullchingnic Brook, the North Branch of Great Codroy, including Upper Brook, Lower Brook , the South Branch of Great Codroy;
• 138. Highlands River & tributary streams;
• 139. Crabbe’s River & tributary streams;
• 143. Flat Bay Brook & tributary streams;
• 144. Little Barachois Brook & tributary streams;
• 145. Southwest and Bottom Brooks & tributary streams.
The following rivers will re-open to angling at one hour before sunrise on Friday.
In Zone 14A:
• 153. Trout River;
•154. Lomand Main River, (East Arm Bonne Bay) including East Branch;
• 155. Deer Arm River;
• 157. Parsons Pond River & tributary streams;
• 158. Portland Creek River, including Brian’s Feeder;
• 159. Portland Creek Feeder & tributary streams;
• 160. River of Ponds, Spring Tilt Brook (below Spring Tilt Pond) & Big Gulch Brook;
• 161. Little Brook Ponds & tributary streams;
• 162. Torrent River & tributary streams;
• 163. East River, Hawke’s Bay
In Zone 4:
• 40. Northwest Arm Brook;
• 41. Western Arm River;
• 42. Leamington River;
• 43. Charles Brook, Bay of Exploits;
• 44. Northern Arm River, Bay of Exploits;
• 45. Peter’s River, Bay of Exploits;
• 46. Exploits river tributaries, tributaries below Grand Falls fishway, tributaries of the mid-Exploits from Grand Falls fishway to Red Indian Lake dam, main stem of mid-Exploits from Grand Falls fishway to Red Indian Lake dam, all Exploits watershed above Red Indian Lake dam.
• 47. Rattling Brook.
Further details can be found at http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/River_closures or by calling 709-772-4423 for recreational fishing information.