CORNER BROOK — The second trial for a St. George’s man facing sexual assault charges is underway in Corner Brook this week.
Stephen Andrew Louvelle is still facing charges of touching a person for a sexual purpose, inviting a person to touch his genital area, sexually assaulting a person, and two counts of assault. Each of the charges allege offences against the same girl, who was under the age of 14 at the time in 2007.
The charges remain after a trial in March of last year resulted in a hung jury. The eight women and four men were unable to reach a verdict on those five charges, but found Louvelle not guilty of a single count of luring the girl using a computer.
In the original trial, the jury heard evidence from Crown attorney Michael Fox suggesting Louvelle was in a sexual relationship with the girl for several months about five years ago.
The girl, her mother, and an aunt testified for the Crown. A police forensic computer analyst took the stand as well.
Testimony, including a video statement to police from 2007, also claimed Louvelle had jumped on the abdomen area of the girl after it was suspected she was pregnant. The assault was said to be an attempt to abort the pregnancy or cause a miscarriage.
In his defence, Louvelle — represented by Keir O’Flaherty — denied all the allegations against him, including claims of an ongoing sexual relationship at the time and said the assaults never occurred.
The new trial is scheduled to continue until Jan. 27.