CORNER BROOK — A teenage boy from Corner Brook has admitted to assaulting a 12-year-old boy with a knife last year.
The 14-year-old pleaded guilty to assault with a weapon in youth court in Corner Brook Wednesday afternoon. His lawyer, Adam Joyce, did not request a pre-sentence report, and a sentencing hearing was scheduled for March 7 to allow the Crown attorney’s office to solicit a victim impact statement.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary investigated a series of complaints involving the two boys between Sept. 25 and Oct. 6. It was alleged the younger boy was bullied by the older one, and was assaulted with a knife on one occasion. The police reported no injuries.
The youths are said to be known to each other and both attend Presentation Junior High School in Corner Brook.
Police would not say whether any or all of the incidents occurred on school property, and referred to the situation as youth violence rather than the more commonly used bullying term.
In October, the mother of the victim told The Western Star her son informed her that another boy was beating him up since the beginning of the school year.
She also said she had seen changes in his behaviour before finding out what happened.