Charles Murphy seeking legal advice on rejection of leadership nomination

Cory
Cory Hurley

Charles Murphy of Irishtown-Summerside

CORNER BROOK  Liberal leadership hopeful Charles Murphy is crying foul over the rejection of his nomination.

The Irishtown-Summerside man filed his papers by Friday’s deadline, he said, surpassing the 50 signatures from 10 districts required to make his campaign official. However, it appears the businessman fell short of the requirements when it came to the $10,000 fee.

Murphy filed a personal cheque for $5,000. He says it was his understanding that was the amount required. Even as of Tuesday morning, he was claiming the rules were that $5,000 — with no specification on payment method — was needed by Friday. He said he was familiar with the process from previously running for the leadership, and had no problems then.

But the Liberal Party of Newfoundland and Labrador’s website clearly defines the first two $5,000 instalments — or a lump sum of $10,000 — of the total $20,000 fee was due by nomination deadline. It also states payment could be made by certified cheque or money order.

Murphy had a courier deliver his papers shortly after 4 p.m., less than an hour before deadline. He said there is nowhere in the nomination papers that outlines the type of cheque or payment that has to be made.

Last week, leadership hopeful Dwight Ball said competition is “healthy” when discussing the campaign between the five candidates — Jim Bennett, Cathy Bennett, Paul Antle and Danny Dumaresque.

Murphy scoffed at the choice of words.

“The only candidate they had in there who was going to stand up for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador was me,” he said. “I know exactly what is going on in this province. I travel the province, and I know what is happening in the districts.”

He claims the Liberal Party wants to keep Ball in the position, describing him as a “figurehead.”

Murphy said he should have been contacted if there was an issue, and that he provided his cell and home numbers.

Murphy claims one of the approved candidates was given an extension to prepare his nomination papers, but provincial party president Judy Morrow said everybody was given the same opportunity. She said there was nothing personal in the committee’s decision to reject his nomination.

She said her experience with Murphy in the 2011 leadership race was a positive one.

“I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with him,” she said. “He is a really good, honest, hard-working Newfoundland and Labradorian who is really supportive of the Liberal Party. Why would I ever want to refuse any particular individual?”

Although she would not discuss the specifics of the problem, she said his nomination was incomplete. While, the rules state there is a 48-hour window granted for incomplete nominations, she said the error was not a minor or technical one.

The president also said members of the rules committee tried vigorously to contact Murphy about the issue after receiving his nomination in the last hour before deadline — even to the point, she said, that the announcement of the candidates was delayed by about 20 minutes. They were unsuccessful in reaching him.

“Everybody has known about this leadership race for well over a year now,” Morrow said. “We developed a set of rules that came out in April. People were given more than ample opportunity to review the rules, call me, call the rules committee, for any explanation, help or assistance that was needed.”

She said if the nomination wasn’t received so late, there would have been more time to make the corrections or complete the papers.

There is an appeal process that Murphy can follow. Murphy said he has an appointment with a lawyer this week to see what legal options he has available to him.

Organizations: Liberal Party

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Yvonne and Chris
    July 13, 2013 - 11:19

Mr.Murphy keep fighting for your rights to run for liberal leader. The liberals played dirty. Don't give up. NL needs a person like you to fight for us and make NL a better place.

• Scott
    July 13, 2013 - 06:13

Just looking at the polls..One concerning Mr Murphy...51 % saying yes ...And 36% saying no..I guess that 36% don't want to work...Just lay around doing nothing... Mr George Murphy...Lease we can say ...There a big difference between you and Charles Murphy...He care about the people to come forward...To put himself out there...

• Larry
    July 10, 2013 - 19:45

QUESTION FOR MS MORROW....IF I WAS TO SEND IN A DONATION TO THE LIBERAL PARTY...IN FORM OF A PERSONAL CHEQUE...WHAT WOULD YOUR PARTY DO WITH IT? I GOT THIS FEELING THAT THE ONLY THING THEY FOUND WRONG WITH HIS PAPER...REMEMBER PEOPLE...THIS MAN FILE NOMINATION PAPER ON TWO DIFFERENCE OCCASION...AND HE HAD NO PROBLEMS...WHAT THE LIBERAL PARTY IS HOLDING AGAIN HIM IS...ON JUNE 24/2013 WHEN HE MADE IS ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE PEOPLE OF NL...HE HAD A PLANS TO BUILD A BETTER FUTURE FOR HIS PEOPLE...NOT LIKE THE REST OF THE OTHER CANDIDATES...ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELF...THE PARTY SHOULD HAVE TAKING MR MURPHY CHEQUE...DEPOSIT IT...IF IT TURN OUT TO BE RUBBER...PUT IT ON DISPLAY FOR THE WORLD TO SEE...I GOT THIS FUNNY FEELING DEEP INSIDE OF ME...REALLY DIDN'T MATTER WHAT HE SHOW UP WITH... THEY WOULD HAVE TURN IT DOWN...SO MUCH FOR MY VOTE..

• Debbie
    July 10, 2013 - 16:34

I am a very upset Newfoundlander the past few days. I met Mr.Murphy while he went around talking to people and getting signatures for his nomination papers. I found him to be a genuine and caring person. A person who cares about the people around him. I was so disappointed to see his not running for the leadership and a lot of other people feel the same way to. We need answers ...the people of NL deserve answers WHY DID HE GET DENIED??? I believe he would make a great leader for the people of NL.

• Krista
    July 10, 2013 - 16:01

Oh where Oh where is Ms.Judy Morrow to? She must be gone into hiding. This don't look good...no answer from her...it looks like the liberals are playing DIRTY.

• Harry
    July 10, 2013 - 13:05

DON'T MATTER WHO MADE THE MISTAKE...LET THE MAN RUN...YOU THINK THE LIBERAL WOULD WANT THE BEST CANDIDATES... TO LEAD THE PARTY IN 2015...MS MORROW DO IT FOR THE PEOPLE...SHOW LEADERSHIP

• Sally
    July 10, 2013 - 12:34

Home on VACATION...Nice to see nothing has change...JUST THE STRONG... BULLYING AND PUSHING THE WEAK AROUND...GOOD JOB JUDY MORROW...NO WONDER MORE AND MORE ARE LEAVING

• Veronica
    July 10, 2013 - 12:22

The liberals are up to no good tricks again. They won't be getting my vote.

• Karen
    July 10, 2013 - 12:18

I feel by reading this letter in the paper...Mr.Charles Murphy should be reinstated to run for the Leadership of the Liberal Party. He would be a great leader because he wants what's best for NL.

• Sherry
    July 10, 2013 - 12:10

TAKE THE MAN MONEY...AND LET HIM RUN IN THE RACE...FOR ONCE I THOUGHT MY PARTY FINALE HAD A LEADER...WE STILL DON'T...

• Scott
    July 10, 2013 - 11:46

Why don't Judy Morrow let out this SO CALL PARTICLAR REASON...LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE...

• Greg
    July 10, 2013 - 11:20

Liberal are playing there dirty tricks once more...like they did with Andy Well...NDP FOR ME ALL THE WAY

• Betty
    July 10, 2013 - 09:48

To Ms.Judy Morrow . I think as the president of the liberal party of NL. I think you owe the people of the province some kind of explanation concerning Mr.Charles Murphy because on two different occasions you let this man run for leadership and you also let him run for candidate for Humber East and there is no reason at that time his papers were denied. Once more Mr.Murphy filed his papers on July 5th 2013 just to have them turned down. Please explain the reason why his papers were denied or is this just a fabrication to keep him out of the race? As for being a loose canon ... I wish we had more like him because this shows he would make a great leader and it also shows his passion for NL.

• Ben
    July 10, 2013 - 09:18

The Liberals made a big deal about Brad Cabana being ruled out of the PC leadership. Maybe they are not too different...the Liberal executive called the Labrador by election when Danny Dumeresque was out of the province. Maybe they are not as democratic as they think they are!

• Barrelman
    July 10, 2013 - 09:09

appeal process= the dark and secret machinations of the malignant

• George Murphy not the ndp one
    July 10, 2013 - 09:01

The rules are easy to understand and this guy did not meet the rules.

• Charles Murphy
    July 10, 2013 - 08:53

Mrs Morrow...PLEASE EXPLAIN TO KATHLEEN FILLMORE AND THE PROVINCE THIS PARTICULAR REASON...YOUR TALKING ABOUT...ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ME...STANDING UP FOR MY RIGHT...EVEN I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I DONE SOMETHING WRONG...I DON'T PRETEND I'M A SAINT...BUT IF YOU ASK ME A QUESTION...I WILL GIVE YOU THE ANSWER...YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE IT...

• Dianne
    July 10, 2013 - 08:27

To BYRON...On june the 24/2013...I read a article that was put out by Mr Murphy...Concerning building the province as a hold...As for him saying a crown on a pickup...HE IS RIGHT ABOUT THAT STATEMENT...We the taxpayers...got 0ne too many of them now...We need someone who going to call a spade a spade... As for Mr Ball...he came to our community of Jackson Arm...told the people...Only thing he can see make work project...Just before that he told the people of Marystown he see a future there...BYRON is this what you call LEADERSHIP>

• The Barrellman
    July 10, 2013 - 08:26

My experience with Mr. Ball has been nothing but negative. A 'healthy' race, merely means his political rival for Liberal leadership has been kept from running. This creates the type of democracy Mr. Ball feels more comfortable with, win by all means possible, (eliminate competition before the games begin).

• Susan
    July 10, 2013 - 08:14

Why don't the Liberal prove to NL they are the right party for the people...By letting this man run...THAT WOULD SHOW LEADERSHIP..

• The Barrellman
    July 10, 2013 - 08:13

I could not agree with you more, Mr. Murphy. The last thing NL needs is Mr. Balls form of politics spreading across the island. Segregation and bullying are this man's political mindset.......

• Charles Murphy
    July 10, 2013 - 08:04

1 - Accorning to Jame Thistle my paper was in order... On july the 5/2013. 2 - John Hogan text my daughter telling her I needed a cheque for $ 10.000.00. 4- They did not call me...The two contract number they had was my home number and cell...At no time they call either one of those number...

• Byron
    July 10, 2013 - 07:36

the comment he made about the current leader “He is like that thing on the Dodge pickup, the crown of a lamb,” he said. “That’s all.” Well that says it all I guess, No wonder the party found a way to keep him out, what an idiot thing to say? Just what the liberal party Don't Need right now is someone of this loose canon caliper, they need some good solid PROFESSIONAL people such as Mr. Ball or others..

• Kathleen Fillmore
    July 10, 2013 - 06:41

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........problems already? If Mr. Murphy has been kept out of the running for any particular reason, isn't it better to know the FACTS NOW? Politics, EH?