© Cory Hurley
Deputy fire chief Alex Park, left, and deputy mayor Terry Wells, right, welcomed Municipal Aggairs Minister Kevin O'Brien to Cox's Cove Thursday. The minister announced the approval of funding for a new fire truck.
The provincial government today announced a fire and emergency response vehicle for the Town of Cox’s cove, one of eight which are being funded this year across Newfoundland and Labrador. The announcement was made in the Town of Cox’s Cove by Kevin O'Brien, minister of Municipal Affairs and minister responsible for Fire and Emergency Services-Newfoundland and Labrador.
“It is my pleasure to be here today to announce $240,000 for this vital piece of equipment which is paramount to the safety of the residents of Cox’s Cove,” said O’Brien. “In recent years we have been working with community partners to ensure that our firefighters have the equipment, training and facilities which they require. This new vehicle is part of this ongoing work, which has seen more than $14 million invested in new trucks and equipment since 2010.”
The new vehicle is a self-contained truck and pumping apparatus, with a 1,050 gallon per minute pumping capability.
Funding for this project is cost-shared with the Provincial Government providing 90 per cent of the funding and the Town of Cox’s Cove covering the remaining 10 per cent.
Budget 2013: A Sound Plan, A Secure Future contained $1.5 million for the purchase of new fire trucks and emergency response vehicles and $380,000 for new fire equipment throughout the province.