KIPPENS A community “and especially a street” is in shock over news a Kippens woman has died, while her husband is in hospital, following a tragedy at their cabin Tuesday.
That's how Coun. Debbie Brake-Patten described the situation on Thursday. The Burgeo RCMP was still trying to piece together what had occurred in the cabin — located near Portage Lake on the old Abitibi Road — also known locally as Buchans Road.
Cpl. John Dawson wouldn’t comment on the possible cause of death until the autopsy results are received.
“We’re still too early in our investigation and all I can say is that at this point there seems to be no foul play involved,” he said.
A CBC report says carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected as the possible cause.
Brake-Patten said the woman was an amazing person and mother and a great neighbour who was friends with everyone on the street.
“Everyone on Alder Avenue is devastated, especially when someone so good goes so quickly.”
Brake-Patten said all the residents of the Kippens street are pulling together for the couple’s son, who is in his early 20s.
“These are hard-working, honest people,” she said.
The 61-year-old woman was an employee of Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital in Stephenville and her 63-year-old husband is retired and active with the Kippens Volunteer Fire Department.
“This is a real tragedy for the community,” she said.