Kitten thrown in dog enclosure in Stephenville found dead

Frank
Frank Gale

STEPHENVILLE  It certainly wasn’t a good start to the month of “peace and goodwill” for volunteers at the Society For The Care and Protection of Animals (SCAPA) in Stephenville on Monday.

Sometime during the night or early morning, a female kitten about 12-14 weeks old was thrown into the dog enclosure and subsequently mauled to death.

“The lifeless little body that was found can only hint at the terror and torture she must have endured,” Gwen Samms, president of the society, said in a prepared release.

This is not the first time the organization has had to deal with an incident like this. About 10 years ago two adult cats were tossed over the fence into the dog enclosure and neither survived.

“We offered a reward but never did find the person or people responsible,” Samms said.

The reaction to the news on SCAPA’s Facebook group was swift and money is now being raised to purchase a security camera system for the shelter.

“Everyone deserves a name,” Samms said. “And all I can think of when I look at her innocent little broken body is Angel. So rest in peace little Angel.”

If anyone has any information about this incident, please contact the society at (709) 643-2811 or the Bay St. George RCMP at 709-643-2118.

Organizations: Society For The Care

Geographic location: Stephenville

Comments

Comments

• fiona
    December 05, 2013 - 08:00

I am so sickened to see this happening that poor baby I think a stiff law should come out for these nasty abusers when found I am so disgusted by the cruelty inflicted on defenseless animals and a mere kitten I hope these horrid people have a bad life and someone does this to them better still throw them into an alligator pond see how they enjoy it.

• PatW
    December 04, 2013 - 01:36

Such a sin. Evil humans continue to be at work in our world.

• PK
    December 03, 2013 - 22:30

@Francine. Do you have any idea what these people do on a daily basis to help as many pets they can possible help? It is impossible to help them all. We are trying. The government restricts how many animals they are allowed to take in and how many are allowed to be put into foster homes. If they go over the limit, all of the animals under their care are euthanized. What about the jerks that toss abandoned cats in the yard of SCAPA? Are THEY not to blame? What about the people who won't take responsibility and have their pets spayed or neutered? I'll tackle your question about why the dogs were outside... it is part of their run! They have shelter and dogs NEED outside time to stay healthy. Have you ever tried to keep a dog inside 24/7? They would go crazy. Literally. Before you go pointing your finger at the people at SCAPA; how about you do something productive like take in and foster a few cats instead of demanding they come to you and fix your little problem? How about you volunteer some of your time? Donate some money? Donate time and energy? See some of the crap they deal with on a daily basis? I want answers not excuses. These people do so much and give so much of themselves just to have people like you criticizing anything they do. I volunteer with several animal rescue organizations. I donate time, energy, money, my home to helping. I don't do it to get a pat on the back, I do it to help the animals. Of the four pets I have, three of them are rescues. So instead of pointing fingers and purposely going out of your way to be hateful and hurtful how about you put your money where your mouth is. I am a single mom of two kids and I volunteer and give where I can. No excuses.

• jean bennett
      December 04, 2013 - 19:48

PK, I could not agree with you more, people like this live their lives just to complain, if only they would put that energy into helping animals, we might not need some many animal shelters. As I read her comment about Gwen ,I knew that she didn't have a clue about what happens on a daily bases at scapa. the dog got beautiful camps to sleep into from the cold weather but like you said you cannot keep dogs bared up all the time, these doges are well taken care off and they never has to be out side if they don't want to be. any way what do that have to do with some nut case going up to the shelter and tossing a kitten in with the dogs, I think that people got nothing better to do then complain about gwen, maybe they should spend some of their time going up to the shelter after hours and watch for the nut cases that would do such a thing, that would be time well spent, and it seems like this Francine would be the right person to catch these nut cases and go to court to testified against the nut cases since she likes to run her mouth off

• Lilly H.
      February 09, 2014 - 01:15

I think Franceen is right! so many animals unneedingly suffer... why? So we dont get a loyal pet. They are people too... why must we treat fellow beings like so??? a quote... "thou may have thou full house yet house thy lost and thy joyless."... I may also make my own mistakes but at least I dont ignore the crys of the lost.may the poor souls have peace in their unloved life... why make them suffer. Why? we could all be happy... Animals and humans alike. Yet no. Why crush hope and kill joy... Once - and dont call me a lair bc its true! - I saw a cat (ghost) that hadnt ever found anyone that cared... fur matted and ears torn (probaly heart too...) a mere soul forever lost... It just apeared, gave a sorrowful mewl and walked away on mid air. It was white with black splotches... eyes were light green with bits of blue... so sad... My heart broke for it when I heard that broken spirit mewl... almost as if saying it was too late... D:

• Tracie
    December 03, 2013 - 22:09

I really can't believe that anyone would blame Gwen Samms for what happened to that kitty...she wasn't the one who threw that baby into the dog pen. And...I said DOG PEN...they may be outside, but the dogs are in a pen!! Why not try blaming the person who took that innocent kitty and cruelly threw her into a pen with dogs! Wow, I'm just amazed that anyone could be so cruel....and then I see a rude, cruel, and un-called for comment against a lady who does everything she can to save the lives of the cats...I'm just disgusted.

• Francine
    December 03, 2013 - 18:23

I blame this on you my dear you preach keep your pets indoors then why are these dogs outside so i hope you don't sleep at night like i said you're to blame here .What about the cats that were left at my door you only got 4 why arn't the rest gone i want answers not excuses

• Erin
      December 03, 2013 - 22:39

Are you insane? It's people like you that are the reason this is happening. SCAPA does everything humanly possible to help as many animals as possible. You are obviously misinformed as to the conditions the animals in their care receive! You want to know how hard it is, you try it! Try sitting outside for 9 hours on a winters night trapping to get these animals off the streets, try fundraising, try fostering, try finding adoptive homes see how far you get! Everything from the front line trappers, to shelter owners and operators, volunteers, donations, fosters, and adoptive's, work extremely hard! I myself right now have 3 feral's that i'm socializing that I trapped, my own 2 rescue cats, and 2 rescued guinea pigs, and I live in a 2 bedroom basement! Do not comment on things you know nothing about! You want animals off your property go trap them yourself, socialize them, and find them homes..your thoughts...exactly! You could not be bothered, you will not try, you will call someone else to do it for you, because that's the type of person you are, you are not a doer, you will not succeed, because you do not care! I am in St. John's and because of SCAPA following the animal control issues all over the province not just in your area, I was put in contact with group in the area that loaned me traps and thought me how to do it..I might note the animals i've trapped have not been on my property or anyone i know, I helped someone who put out a plea for help! Again, please keep your uninformed comments to yourself, as you obviously have no idea! Didn't your mother ever teach you, if you don't know what your talking about, then don't speak!

• Teresa
      December 04, 2013 - 00:06

You can go ROT Francine, miss miserable excuse for a human being. Why don't YOU do something about cats at your door...like be kind to them...what an evil harpy you are

• Paula
    December 03, 2013 - 16:54

Scary to even think this monster is still walking free amongst us...lowlife..

• Lisa
    December 03, 2013 - 16:40

Sometimes I am sorely ashamed to be part of the human race. Fly free, sweet Angel. Enjoy your wings at Rainbow Bridge.

• Melanie
    December 03, 2013 - 11:40

What kind of monsters would do this?! I hope someone witnessed something, because this is just horrible and they should be charged. Harming an animal is also a future indicator for harming a human being, especially if the culprit was a young person. PLEASE someone get a camera in there ASAP!!

• linda sheppard
      December 04, 2013 - 07:55

Melanie..because of this tragic case of abuse people have rallied to raise funds and now a camera will be installed..someone has been trying to raise funds for months for a camera, but with the high amount of animals this year being dumped at Scapa the funds go to vet bills, some of the animals were in horrible shape, infections, broken limbs, starvation..just to name a few..not all make it to the media..so very sad.

• linda sheppard
      December 04, 2013 - 08:02

• theresa locke
    December 03, 2013 - 08:53

How cruel can a person be.I wonder if he stayed around to watch.Next time it could be a person this sicko hurts.