Stephenville woman helping others with Qalipu applications

Diane
Diane Crocker

Odelle Pike

CORNER BROOK  Odelle Pike won’t be sending in any more information to support her application to the Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation Band.

“According to (Qalipu criteria) I’m fine because my application was in before September 2011 and I live in a Mi’kmaq community,” said Pike.

“So, I really don’t have to do anything.”

That doesn’t mean the Stephenville woman, who is active in the native community, isn’t interested in what’s going on.

Pike has been spending a lot of her time helping others with their applications.

“We got a lot of people in this area who need help,” said Pike, adding she’s been getting calls from all over.

On Friday, a day after it was announced that the deadline to submit additional information to the review committee had been extended from Jan. 31 to Feb. 10, Pike said at least that will give people some more time.

“There’s a lot of heartache out there because a lot of people don’t know what to be doing,” she said.

“Because of the new supplemental agreement people have no choice but to do what they’re requesting or they’ll just get pushed aside.”

Pike said there is a lot of confusion about the letter applicants received in November advising them that they could submit more information.

“It’s mostly done in legal terms and the normal person would not be able to cipher through it anyway.”

And she doesn’t agree with what’s being requested.

“Half the stuff people got to do is utter craziness anyway,” she said.

Pike said those who applied before Sept. 22, 2011, like her, have already met the self identification criteria. “Because you signed that form.”

But, she said, if they live off the island or outside of a Mi’kmaq community then they have to prove that they make frequent visits and participate in cultural things.

“Which is hard for a lot of people because a lot of people didn’t realize that they were aboriginal until 2008 or 2009. And even the Federation of Newfoundland Indians didn’t have a lot of cultural activities prior to 2010 anyway.”

Pike said there are a lot of people still waiting on and trying to find the necessary information, from census data to travel documents and proof of band membership.

Pike doesn’t know how the process will unfold once the actual review of applications starts, but said she doesn’t think it will be good.

She said the control rests with government and people don’t have any say.

“I really think that more people should be up in arms about it.”

Organizations: Federation of Newfoundland

Geographic location: Stephenville

Comments

Comments

• Brenda Hickey
    February 02, 2014 - 15:53

My Great Great Grandfather was Mattie Mitchell I'm not sure what to do I grew up in Corner Brook and moved to ontario

• Karen Murray
    January 20, 2014 - 17:03

Hi, Wondering if I submitted my band applic before the deadline date, living outside the province but since live in the designated area and running my own business and I have updated info with them. The letter which everyone received recently was sent my nl address, do I still have to submit?

• karen murray
    January 20, 2014 - 16:56

hi, was wondering if my applic was before the deadline date and I was outside the boundaries but am living full time and running a business in the designated area plus updating my info with them , as my letter, that everyone received asking for more info ,was sent to my nl address. Do I still submit?

• HAROLD BARNES
    January 20, 2014 - 00:10

I am totally disgusted with the whole process. I have sent in everything that was required and still they want more. I can actually apply from both sides of my family but have only submitted from one side. Should i have maybe tried to get all the information from my mom's side also? Would it have made any difference at all to getting accepted into the band.Some of our family have their cards already, my brothers and sisters. If anyone has any answers to any of these questions would you please get ion touch or leave a number so i can get in touch with you. Thank you. HAROLD BARNES TEL 519-743-2618. .

• Marie Wilton
    January 19, 2014 - 21:13

HI.. I live in Trout River and i would like to know where i can go to for help with the application for what the goverment is asking ?

• Marie Wilton
    January 19, 2014 - 21:12

• Gary Targett
    January 19, 2014 - 18:14

How can they let half the family be native and the other brothers and sisters not , it is a pile of crap the government just want to scrap the whole deal, i am not bothering with all that bull again.

• Sandra J Ball (nee Hiscock)
    January 18, 2014 - 23:18

How sad that other members of my family and I are being denied our heritage!

• margaret
    January 18, 2014 - 19:02

Hi, first I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I live out side of NL ,but I have been visiting Corner Brook for years, I do have some documents proving my visits. What do they mean about self idendation? My children also live outside of NL ,but can't get any other prove of visit pass 2009, she do have a visa statement that shows she made a purchase in 2008. Marine atlantic doesn't have any records before Sept 2008 due to computer change. Has no contact by phone or e-mail because she has a bundle package on her phone that doesn't show any numbers that was made ,the phone company do not keep track of any numbers when you got a bundle package& . she never keep any old emails ,back then who keeps emails unless it a picture attach. what should she do in that case?.

• Qalipu Member
    January 17, 2014 - 23:00

I too live in a Mi'kmaq community, but unfortunately a few of my siblings do not as they had to leave the island for work. They do visit their community but never expected that airline tickets or ferry tickets would be needed to provide proof of their visits. It isn't right that they have their status and now are in jeopardy of losing it because they cannot get the documentation that they need to prove otherwise.

• Richard
    January 17, 2014 - 17:50

I have filed my aplication after September 22,2011. I filed neck was all neccessary info on ansestry. I can establish community as I reside in Corner Brook however I am having extreme difficulty proving self identification prior to recognition date. I cannot self identify using examples given by aboriginal affairs. My father and sister received letters however they self identified as of recognition date and have shown community aceptance They both currently have membership in the band. What kind of crazy world do we live in where half your family are accepted as members by the band, aboriginal affairs and the balance of the family may be precluded? Please help I don't know what to do....

• Mavis J F Hatcher
    January 17, 2014 - 17:11

I would like some help if possible, maybe w could do it by email.

• June
    January 17, 2014 - 16:26

I have been living out side of Newfoundland for almost 15 years this time. I am away from home because of work. I think our Goverment is not thinking straight because they give you your Indian Band Card and now they want to take it away. Back in 2009 we had to have all the information sent in by November. Now they are asking for more information, to prove that we go home for a visit. I try very hard to make it home to visit my MOM and family every couple of years. Travelling is not cheap anymore so I call my MOM four or five times a week and sometimes more. The problem that I have is that I have internet phone service and their is no way that I can get records of all the calls that I make back and the other thing is that who keeps records of airline tickets for the last five years. The letter that was sent out to everyone was very confusing say the lease. I made several calls to the phone # that was given and I was given different answers to the same question. I had one person telling me that I didn't have to do anything else and I had another person telling me that I did. My thoughts on this subject is that if you have already received your Band Card than no one should be allowed to take it away from you and to tell you that you are no longer consider a member of the Qalipu Mi'Kmaq Nation. It is time for our Government to wise up.