Woman says SPCA rejected her bid to adopt dog

Barb
Barb Sweet

Says unneutered childhood pets cited as a factor

A Mount Pearl woman says she was rejected from adopting a dog by the SPCA because family dogs, with her since childhood, had not been neutered.

Rebecca Gladney poses with her dog Rooner at her home in Mount Pearl. — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

“I thought they did a lot of good work, necessary work,” Rebecca Gladney, now in her mid-20s, said of the SPCA

“It’s really taken me aback.”

Gladney had gone to the animal shelter in St. John’s recently with open bags of food after the second of her two dogs, obtained by her family when she was 12, died in December. The other dog — Shaft and Shady were siblings — died last summer and neither was neutered.

She said she was not looking for a new pet, but fell in love with a year-old Gordon setter/retriever mix named Charlie. He was already neutered.

But according to Gladney, her application was turned down on the basis of the status of her previous pets. She said she appealed to the shelter manager and thought that if her veterinarian vouched for her, the adoption might go ahead.

Gladney said while visiting Charlie one day, she overheard a staff member arguing on the phone with her vet.

Gladney also said while waiting to talk to the manager, she overheard a conversation about the kennels being full and there being no room for new surrenders.

She said she visited Charlie for days, but was eventually told the dog was sent to a foster home.

“Charlie found me for a reason. And I think that reason was to bring some of this to light,” Gladney said, adding in the meantime she adopted a dog, Rooner, from an acquaintance about a week ago and the issue is no longer about her getting Charlie.

“But the question remains: how many other great, or even good, homes are being denied for reasons such as this? Even on vet recommendations? It’s basically encouraging people to go buy from a pet store, and in turn support puppy mills — one of the very things the SPCA is supposed to be against,” Gladney said.

“How many animals are being turned away and subsequently abandoned or neglected due to the SPCA not having room for them because they’re turning away perfectly good foster homes/potential adopters? Something, somewhere, is broken. And needs to be addressed. And fixed.”

Shelter manager Kristy Bailey said she cannot discuss specific cases, but said only a minority of applications are turned down each year while about 1,000 animals are adopted out annually.

She said there is no set-in-stone policy rejecting people who have had unneutered or unspayed pets.

“We have a complex process in which we try to find the best fit for every animal,” Bailey said.

“Those decisions involve getting to know the adopter. It also includes their previous pet history and, certainly, those who have chosen to have their pets spayed and neutered is a great indicator of pet ownership, but it is not the only indicator.”

But she acknowledged it can be one indicator of pet ownership suitability — not the only factor.

“We don’t enjoy declining applications,” Bailey said, adding staff feel sorry when it happens.

“We understand it is upsetting for somebody to be turned down and people feel very sad about that.”

Charlie is still featured on the SPCA website as a potential adoptee even though he is being fostered.

Comments

Comments

• Elizabeth
    October 26, 2014 - 18:01

15+ yrs ago, I volunteered twice a week to clean kennels, etc. I have training in ' veterinary care' background, but they didn't know that. I requested the adoption of an adult male cat. I was denied because I lived in a basement apartment. They didn't even ask to speak with the apartment owner. The cat was euthanized that week. A couple of years ago my uncle adopted a dog from there... He should never own an animal. He left his last cat in the basement with the pet rabbit when he got tired of them. But he fed them, so I guess that's all the SPCA cares about. So, because he neutered his cat, he got the dog? This dog is muzzled half of the time... When it's not being screamed and swore at- Congratulations SPCA! You certain can pick em'!!!! I heard of a number of good people being turned down at the SPCA. They need to get off the power trip, and do what the SPCA does elsewhere. I will say... The Clarenville SPCA seems to being working for the right reason. Kudos to them.

• Ken
    September 02, 2014 - 17:47

The SPCA has been trying to be "Pet Police" for years. The will even come to your house to remove your puppies if they hear that you are giving them away. Remember, everyone, the SPCA has NO authority to to take any animal of yours, ever ,at any time. The SPCA should be "CLOSED" and the majority of the employees should NEVER be allowed to be alone with any animals EVER. Even the lesser employees (new hires) will be trained by the senior staff and they will be taught to be .. Rude to clients, To have a condescending attitude to clients,, taught to be nosey and ask personal questions not related to the pet, taught to be judgmental. Stay away from SPCA if you want to have a peaceful pet life.. I am presently building a petition across Canada to have our government rescind all SPCA policies and have a complete re-organisation of of the Pet industry. If you would like to participate please contact me at .. eatformedicine@gmail.com

• Eileen
      October 20, 2014 - 23:50

I have so much to say! But,I dont know where to start. Let's just say I agree 100 & 20% on what is being said about the SPCA! My experiences happened here in GRANDFALLS/WINDSOR! It's late. But, please contact me in the future! I really agree with getting together & fighting to have something done about how staff members treat the public!

• Sonia
    July 28, 2014 - 10:23

I volunteered for 6 months at Montreal's SPCA annexe, cleaning cat litters, loving the affection-starved cats and walking/running dogs for 30 mins at a time. I committed to 3 hrs once a week, but usually did 4-7 hours on that day. Three months into my volunteering, one of my 2 cats developed a malignant tumor which took her down in 4 months. While I was caring for my poor cat and seeing her decline, I still went to walk/run with the Annexe's dogs, still once a week for more than 3 hrs, but not on the day I committed to, I came when I was able to due to caring for a cat with cancer (!), then the staff started to ignore me, not answer questions and acted like I was no longer welcome. I explained my situation to the volunteer coordinator, but I guess she didn't inform the staff. In winter, I noticed less and less volunteers, and one day I came in to walk the poor dogs, after pulling myself together just to get out of bed, and I was angrily told, "Sonia, you can't just come and walk dogs when you feel like it you know!" Shocked, scared and disappointed, $6 in bus fare, 1 hour travelling there to help the dogs, I explained what was going on and asked if I could walk dogs that day. They let me but it was just too stressful after that nasty remark, so I never went back. I was kind of "fired" from volunteering... Sick place!!! Was asked to foster dog when I started out but because I didn't have $200 deposit, the dog stayed in its cage. There are plenty of no-kill shelters to adopt from who aren't as cruel as the SPCA.

• colin
    April 05, 2014 - 13:53

The SPCA is just another name for 'the euthanasia clinic.' It you want to help an abandoned animal and you go to great lengths to rescue it, but you can't afford the ridiculous vet fees to have the animal treated so you can actually give it a good home yourself, then you will end up going the SPCA route thinking you are doing the right thing for the animal. Think again! Within a couple of hours the animal will be put to sleep. The vet get his kick back from the SPCA and the SPCA will have 'done their duty.' Kristy Bailey should step down. She just lectures people who are trying to help animals. Very patronizing woman. Very cold demeanor. It's people like her, and those greedy vets, that stop decent people from trying to help animals in distress.

• SC
      May 17, 2014 - 21:46

Do you mind me asking where you are getting this information on euthanasia at the SPCA from? I volunteered at the shelter for a few months last year. In my experience I never witnessed an animal being put down within a couple of hours coming into the shelter. If you go to the website you will see profiles of animals at the shelter who have been there for months. Their profiles will be on the website until they get adopted. Several months ago a cat was adopted out who had been at the shelter for a year. In my experience volunteering at the shelter I saw staff do their best to keep euthanasia to an absolute minimum, typically reserving it for cases of terminally ill animals at risk of infecting others, or very extreme cases of aggression (like feral cats, for example, unfortunately the shelter is not able to rehabilitate feral cats). Animals are not given a time limit. There is not a certain amount of days, weeks or months that pass before it's determined that the animal has been at the shelter too long and has to go. When space gets extremely limited, the shelter tries to make as much room as they can, foster out animals, or send more cats to PetSmart. Obviously I am not qualified to speak officially about euthanasia polices at the shelter. I can only speak from my own experience as a volunteer. I also don't have knowledge about the euthanasia rates in the past, before the new management. I understand some people may have had bad experiences or misunderstand some of the shelter's policies, but it honestly really hurts me to see this kind of misinformation being spread. As someone who loves animals and was pleasantly surprised to realize how rare euthanasia is at the shelter, especially compared to what I thought prior to volunteering there, I find it difficult to accept that this kind of misinformation is circulating and possibly undermining all the hard work that's been done by the staff to accommodate as many animals as possible.

• Jack
    March 24, 2014 - 11:37

How true SPCA has not responded to my repeated requests for a Shih Tzu adoption. I guess they want to keep them all for the shelter. For an outsource supported organization, they sure don't do their job, in my opinion. Also some of the fees listed are ridiculous.

• MNC
    February 04, 2014 - 16:46

When I was 16 years old my friends and I found abandonned kittens. I brought them home to my parents for the night but the next day they had to go. I brought them to the SPCA and was berrated that the kittens were too young to be away from their mum and they were really "mine" and I was abandoning them. Fast forward 10 years, I tried to adopt a dog and was shot down due to "surrendering" the kittens. I have 3 healthy, happy, spayed/neutered fur family members now that I adopted or bought. Would have loved to give a shelter dog a home. Bettcha when my dogs pass on and I am ready for a new dogs the SPCA will shoot me down again.

• Dwan
    February 03, 2014 - 14:10

Five years ago I went to the SPCA to adopt an adult dog and fell in love with a beagle who I was told was 4 years old and had been found living under someone's steps on Bell Island. I am an active person, have had dogs all of my life who have been healthy, neutered, exercised and lived long lives. I lived in a pet-friendly apartment building with the blessing of the building manager. I applied to adopt "Dreyfus" on Friday and was told a decision would be in place by Monday. I called on Monday and was very rudely told a decision had not been made and was hung up on. Subsequent calls were treated the same. On Wednesday my call was answered by a different volunteered to informed me my application had been rejected on the day I had applied because the building manager had said dogs were not permitted. I immediately called my building manager who said he had not received a call and would give his blessing to me if someone had bothered to call. I gave the SPCA this information and was then told they did not bother to call because dogs should not be in buildings and Dryfus was "impossible to housetrain and barked incessantly". He had been taken home by a familythat Friday and returned on the weekend because he would not stop urinating. I was lectured like a child on how some dogs just cannot be trained. I was then told that he would not be euthanized because Beagle Paws had agreed to take him. I hung up, called Beagle Paws who had not heard of any such dog. A week later I received a call from Beagle Paws asking if I was still interested in the dog as he was being euthanized in 12 hours if they could not find room for him. I immediately got supplies and he was brought to my home, a scared puppy who was not four years old but, according to the vet, was barely a year old and suffering from a severe bladder and kidney infection. Sidney, as he is now named, does not bark incessantly as he is no longer a frightened puppy tossed in the basement with adult dogs. He is no longer impossible to house train as his kidney and bladder infections were cleared up within a couple of rounds of antibiotics. He has lived a wonderful life thus far and we will celebrate his 6th "birthday" in three days, no thanks to the SPCA who deemed a family who did not know that a dog urinating every 5 minutes meant illness was more fit to take him home than me, then 27 years old, athletic, and who had much more experience with dogs. When the SPCA's management changed a few years ago I had hoped this would mean changes to their screening as well. It pains me to see this is not the case. I have no doubt that many rejections are justified, but I have heard too many horror stories from families and individuals since this has happened that are far too similar to what I had encountered. The best interests of the animals are what should be front and center with regards to animal rescue. It is clear that there are issues standing in the way of this. I am sure overworked, underpaid staff are a part of the problem as I cannot imagine the stresses and pressures put on these people on a daily basis. However, when stories like this come to light organizations need to step back and try to find solutions that will help streamline the process a little more and ensure animals, and humans, are getting the companions and homes they deserve.

• Joanne
    January 23, 2014 - 13:41

I visited the spca before Christmas after reading that they had a 17 year old dog looking for a home. My heart was broken. I got there as soon as I could, I asked to walk through the dog area but I couldn't see a dog that was possibly that old. I asked the lady on the desk if she knew where the 17 year old dog was and she said "he must just be new in". She put her head back down to the papers she was working on, didn't give me any more information and ignored me until I gave up and left. I was mortified at the ignorance. I went to the CBS animal shelter and got a beautiful puppy and the staff are professional, kind, caring, patient and take the time to talk to you about your concerns.

• Joanne
    January 23, 2014 - 13:39

• Joanne
    January 23, 2014 - 13:25

• Jocelyn chatman
    January 23, 2014 - 10:51

The same thing happened to me. In Central, about 3yrs ago. It made me sad has well I just wanted to give a dog a good home, that's what it about. I too went and purchased a dog who has a wonder life daily excised and apart of family. Has would any dog that I would have gotten.

• Jocelyn chatman
    January 23, 2014 - 10:43

• N
    January 23, 2014 - 06:54

1.Saying you will never recommend the spca to anyone is ridiculous. Thats not in the best interest of any animals. 2.The spca has a couple meagerly paid employees who work more than their fair share of 40+ hours per week. These people are paid to do the fundraising, volunteer coordinating, and management. The shelter is a big place and they hire a few people to clean and tend to the cages and kennels also. 3.The SPCA has funds available when needed for large medical cases and what not which is a bit different from HC who sends pleas for money when such a situation arises. Both ways are different but they work. -4.They are always looking for volunteers to help with the front desk and help with cleaning duties also. It only takes a simple 40 minute orientation session and fill out a couple forms with criminal check AT NOT COST TO YOU. - yes they want to check who volunteers even if just walking a dog. Not everyone is fit to be around animals. Have you not seen all the crazy news stories and facebook shares the past while with animal abuse cases. 5.I volunteer with BOTH HC and SPCA and i have never heard that crazy policy. - THE SPCA does not kill animals. There have been cases where an animal was too sick and had to be humanely put to sleep. Dont you read things like this on the HC facebook page also, if we cant raise the funds this cat will die etc. Yes you do. Both organizations are doing the best of their capacity to save as many animals as possible. - before you go on complaing about the SPCA I suggest you get your facts from credible sources and not just he said she said.

• Lori Flynn
    January 22, 2014 - 22:23

I attempted to adopt a second cat from the SPCA in Clarenville and was rejected based on the fact that my previous kitten had been spayed at 8 months instead of 6 months old. After several visits to see the kitten and sending an online application, they left a voice mail on my home phone announcing "...we will not be adopting any animals to you in the future" and stated they were trying to reach me at the 6 month time frame (Jan 2013) but could not. Had they even been concerned about the animals enough to invite me to call back, I would have explained that in Jan my partner developed a life threatening aneurysm and was having open heart surgery. My vet can vouch for the health of my animals. The SPCA or anyone is welcome to come and see that each precious animal I own is a member of the family. Loved dearly. The Clarenville SPCA is overcrowded with cats, illness, and the dogs do not get exercised properly. It is cruel. I no longer support this organization. They need to look at developing consistent protocols for adoption that make sense.

• Christine
    January 22, 2014 - 18:46

I adopted 4 cats from Humaine Services and only 1 from the SPCA (all spayed and still living with me). Humaine Services are much more professional while still screening for potential pet owners. The SPCA I found to be very unprofessional and expected an awful lot with not much frienly service given in return. This likely because of their volunteer situation. I am all about financially supporting the SPCA and helping the animals but I don't think I would ever adopt from them again. One of my main issues with the place is that their animals dont seem rwalt happy. On all my visits almost all their animals were in cages. The free roaming cats at HS seemed much happier and healthier. SPCA needs to consider giving their volunteers more training and investing some of their fundraising dolllars into creating a larger more updated facility that is better suited to housing animals so they can be free roaming or at least have more space.

• Amanda
    January 22, 2014 - 17:29

For those who are saying its about the right owner thats not exactly the case. I was denied because my dog was not neutered as well. But my dog was not neutered due to medical reasons. I was not in school, had a job and owned my own home with large fenced in back yard. I also had a recommendation from my vet. Best part was the dog I wanted eventually was euthanized because he wasn't adopted after so long. This right owner thing is crap!

• A volunteer
      January 29, 2014 - 21:09

Just curious, approximately how long ago was it that this happened? I ask because in the past few years the SPCA has come under new management and I believe their euthanasia policies have changed considerably. I volunteer doing reception at the shelter once a week and am familiar with many of the dogs there, and there is one who has been in the shelter since August. A number of weeks ago now a cat was adopted out who had been there since August of 2012. So I am fairly certain animals are no longer euthanized there due to lack of space, they stay there as long as it takes for them to find a home. From what I understand it's only cases of severe illness that may cause the animal suffering and be passed on to others or cases of extreme aggression that result in euthanasia.

• i respect their decision
    January 22, 2014 - 14:43

i respect the spca's decision to deny an adoption - means they are not willing to allow just anyone have the animal. i have rescued twice, and been successful both times. why? because i meet criteria on the applications. lots of love is wonderful, but not everything - you have to show you can provide a stable, lasting environment. too many people give up their animals too easily because they have to move (i moved to a different country with my whole family - that includes fur kids. if i can do it, anyone can do it), a new baby, a job that keeps them away constantly, etc etc. it's the reason these shelters exist in the first place. and part of being a responsible pet owner is spaying & neutering!!! there is also way too much back yard breeding and mills going on (have you checked kijiji lately??) and to complain that volunteering and walking dogs is too strict? i'm glad it is - you can't be too careful - lots of horrible people out there. you wouldn't let just anyone off the street go into a daycare and be with children without being screened. this is no different. also, dogs have varied personalities and issues living in a pound/shelter - not every dog can easily go out and walk with just anyone. there are several factors to consider - not just simply "the spca won't let me adopt". look at the big picture - there is most likely a very good reason for it.

• Will never suggest the SPCA to ANYONE!
    January 22, 2014 - 14:38

Whoever is running the St. John's SPCA should step down. Obviously the best interest of the animal is not a priority here. I was accepted as a volunteer with the SPCA after going through all the "channels", application, security check, etc. After working one shift I received a call from the volunteer coordinator saying that the board has asked me to step down from my volunteering duties! But why, I ask? Hang on, this gets good........ I was told I wasn't wanted there because I also volunteer for Heavenly Creatures, a NO-KILL rescue organization here in the city . I was told they could not have someone volunteering for them who also volunteered for an organization that doesn't follow their "processes". Now you ask, what are the processes that HC doesn't follow that the SPCA does? The only one any of the people I've spoken to can figure is.......Heavenly Creatures is a NO KILL whereas the SPCA is! Anyway the point of this letter was to open the eyes of the people of St' John's and the board members of the SPCA. If so many people have had such bad experiences at the SPCA doesn't it tell you something is wrong and has to be changed??? I'm sorry to say that I will never support this shelter as long as the current staff are running the place and neither will anyone associated with me. I will give all my time and support to rescues that appreciate it and genuinely care about the animals. ( They are volunteers, not PAID employees) In closing I suggest anyone looking to adopt a cat or a dog to get ahold of one of the local rescues such as Heavenly Creatures, Peas for Paws, Beagle Paws and Mollies Dream to name a few. All of these rescue organizations have cats or dogs waiting for their furrever homes!

• Will never suggest the SPCA to ANYONE!
    January 22, 2014 - 14:37

• Dissapointed about the volunteering process
    January 22, 2014 - 12:02

Not only do the SPCA make it hard to adopt they also make very frustrating when your trying to volunteer there. I was there Saturday with my boyfriend just wanting to walk a dog who may need to get out for a LONG walk. No one had time t o talk to me because they were short staffed and finally when they did they gave me and my BF one dog who was the smallest one there to walk between us. They told us that only regular volunteers could walk certain dogs due to different reasons. the regular volunteers were high school students who were afraid to put the leash on the smallest dog there. After I helped them they took him out for about 5 mins max and brought him back, any dog needs to be walked longer then this. When I asked how to become a regular volunteer they gave me a form with 100 questions and it required I get a letter of conduct.. which is a bit much to walk a dog. I current walk dogs at the Humane Services and the process there is not near as hard and they actually let you take dogs that need to be walked. I have to say I left very disappointed being a dog lover knowing how hard they are making it for the public to be involved.

• Dog lover, too
      January 22, 2014 - 14:40

Did you know that a dog was stolen from the SPCA by someone who claimed he just wanted to take the dog for a walk? There obviously needs to be processes involved with walking dogs because of nasty situations like that.

• N
      January 23, 2014 - 17:18

all you have to do is fill out the letter of conduct and they do it for you... AND PAY FOR it.... THERE ARE NOT 100 questions. Even if there were, wouldnt that be worth it for the joy of volunteering with wonderful animals? I think so... people have to stop complaining about simple things

• Dog Lover
    January 22, 2014 - 10:04

Over 20 years ago, I went to the SPCA to adopt a dog, but they wouldn't even consider my request. The reason? I was a single person with a job, and the dog would be alone by itself during the day in my home. The SPCA considered this to be too cruel for any dog. I never even had the chance to visit the dogs they had at the time (when they were based at the old airport location).

• SPCA supporter
      January 22, 2014 - 14:44

Many things have changed at the SPCA since 20 years ago.

• Amanda
    January 22, 2014 - 10:02

They refused to let me adopt a cat a few years ago because I was a University student. They gave me a piece of paper that said it would cost over $500 per year to own a cat and that I couldn't afford it. They would rather an animal not find a home and be put to sleep than live with a student. I ended up adopting a cat from the Higgin's Line Humane Society. Extremely friendly crowd who actually looked out for the best interests of their animals!!!

• s
    January 22, 2014 - 10:00

? to put to SPCA - what percentage of applications to adopt are rejected. Ms. Gladney being turned down to adopt an already neutered dog because dogs owned by her family since she was 12 were not neutered. As a 12 yr old, she would have been able to have a say - but not make the decision on whether the dogs would be neutered. ? for Ms. Gladney - were you ever asked if you would get a pet neutered & if so, what was the answer. I am all for good owners getting to adopt pets if they will treat them well and neuter them and adults should not be prevented from adopting - because their parents/guardians had not neutered or spayed the family pets when they were children. Please everyone, get your pets spayed or neutered. + The SPCA is hosting a microchipping event - Microchipping - for a great price $ 25. https://www.facebook.com/events/1378299925764962/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

• Catherine
      January 22, 2014 - 14:17

I agree with you that she shouldn't have been denied because her parents chose not to neuter their animals. Just a note though, I tried to make an appointment several days ago for the microchipping event they're advertising on Facebook and was told they're full.

• Stephanie
    January 22, 2014 - 09:59

I was refused once for a kitten because my dog isn't fixed.

• Dog Lover
    January 22, 2014 - 09:57

• Laura
    January 22, 2014 - 09:22

If the SPCA keeps putting regulations on adoptions-its going to deter people from going there and adopting an animal-It did for me at least-my grandparents adopted a dog from the SPCA near 20 years ago, they signed a paper-paid a fee-got the dog, regulations have changed since then, you need to jump through hoops with applications and classes?? really?? Or go to kijiji and get a dog no hassle who equally needs a home-do the math

• Laura
    January 22, 2014 - 09:22

• Animal lover
      January 22, 2014 - 14:48

It's about finding the RIGHT home for an animal, not just any home. How would it look if the SPCA was adopting an animal to anyone without screening and then finding out later that that animal had been abused or neglected?

• Go Figure
    January 22, 2014 - 07:17

My application has been denied (twice) for the same reason. I had indoor cats that were not spayed, and two dogs that were spayed and neutered. My reference from the vet was top notch, but yet when I went in to adopt a dog, I was turned down for the same reason you cited. It is backward system. I do understand the reasons for the spaying & neutering and believe in it, but there should be leniency. So, instead, I just went and adopted a puppy from Kijjiji and spent extra money to get him neutered.