UPDATE: Residents being transported from scene of apartment fire

The Telegram
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Several residents sent to hospital; St. Clare's ER filling up

Firefighters are about to do a final check of Maplewood Apartments in St. John's to make sure all residents are outside. Some residents were refusing to leave. An employee of the apartment building, which is now the scene of a fire, has a list of names of everyone who lives in the building and is trying to check everyone off. It's a difficult task as several people are leaving by bus while others left earlier with relatives.
Many residents are having a difficult time getting to the Metrobuses which are there to transport them from the building. Along with the slush and ice on the ground, there are obstacles such as fire hoses and vehicles. Several residents have mobility issues, and firefighters were seen carrying some people to the buses.

A fire is out and residents have been taken to City Hall from an aprtment complex on Shaw Street in St. John's.


Earlier story:

Metrobuses are picking up residents of Maplewood Apartments in St. John's as firefighters work on the scene, where smoke and flames can be seen coming from the second and third floors.

Many loved ones are looking for residents at the scene.St. Clare's emergency room is almost at capacity with patients coming from the scene of the fire. Patients will now be transported to the Health Sciences Centre.

Earlier story:


Several residents have told The Telegram that the source of the fire at Maplewood Apartments was an electric recliner.


Dozens of residents of Maplewood Apartments, mostly seniors, are gathered outside the St. John's apartment complex on the sidewalk, apparently waiting for a bus to take them from the scene.


Firefighters from multiple stations are on the scene, and more have been called in.

Flames can be seen shooting from the second and third floors.


A resident said he and another resident heard a man scream for help in an apartment on the third floor. They saw smoke in the hallway and as they approached the door, the man in the apartment opened the door. The apartment was already filled with smoke and fire. The man got out of the building and was put in an ambulance, the resident said.

Earlier story:

At least three people has been taken to hospital with apparent smoke inhalation as a result of a fire that broke out late this afternoon on Shaw Street in St. John's.

Up to 30 people may need treatment, according to reports.

Maplewood Apartments have also been evacuated.

The fire looks to be concentrated on the third floor of the building. A tremendous amount of smoke and flames can be seen shooting from the building.

The fire department, RNC and ambulances are all on scene, escorting seniors outside.

Telegram reporters and a photographer are on the scene and will have updates as they become available.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Khrystle
    February 19, 2014 - 17:14

    It is absolutely ridiculous that these pictures were taken and made public. Shows no consideration for those poor people during a time where they are ill and probably have lost their homes. Your only concern it seems was getting a story. Which could have easily been done without the pictures. Shame on you.

    • Mike
      February 19, 2014 - 20:11

      I agree. Tell the story but don't put pictures if these unfortunate people on your website.

    • Elizabeth
      February 19, 2014 - 21:48

      I agree Khrystle! A photo of the building would of been enough. Taking photos of these residents while they are in distress is disrespectful. Unless they had given you consent to do so.

  • Observer
    February 19, 2014 - 17:11

    Sounds like they need to re-.examine their protocols regarding every aspect of a fire occurring in the building. Notably, around accounting for every single resident and evacuation procedures after a fire happens. Snow and ice play a huge role as well. Had this happened at night things might have been much worse. Not good........