Irishtown woman says Riverside Drive is not being maintained well enough

Diane
Diane Crocker

An Irishtown woman has a message for city officials — “take care of all of the streets in Corner Brook, not just a select few.”

Kelly Park’s words come after her vehicle went off the road on Riverside Drive Saturday night.

“Riverside Drive is never taken care of and it never has been. And I don’t know if anybody at the depot can tell you why, because I would like to know why it is that they’re not taking care of Riverside Drive,” said Park.

She said it’s a well-used road by people on both sides of the bay and deserves more attention.

“The road is not maintained on a well enough basis, so therefore what happens is as it thaws and cools and thaws and cools it becomes this washboardy situation.”

Park said she was driving near the old train station at 9 p.m. Saturday when she hit an icy and bumpy section of the road.

She said there was no salt on the road at the time. “And I just lost control of my vehicle.”

Park said she basically hydroplaned. “Because all four of my tires lifted off at the same time.”

Her vehicle ended up teetering on a snowbank.

Park’s 12-year-old son Ryan was in the vehicle with her and, while they weren’t injured, he was shaken by the ordeal.

“I was stuck on the road, and all I was worried about was can I get out of it and is my car driveable,” Park said.

A local autobody shop estimates the damage to Park’s vehicle at about $3,000. The bumper was torn off, there’s damage to one side and the windshield washer fluid container ripped apart.

Since Park’s accident her husband Rodney also almost lost control on the road on Tuesday and he saw an SUV that had hit a sign on the road after losing control on the icy surface.

Her husband has contacted the City of Corner Brook to complain about the condition of the road and to find out what was needed to file a claim for the damages.

He was told to take pictures of the vehicle and include a note of what happened. A detailed explanation of the city’s claims policy can be found at www.cornerbrook.com/policies.

While her insurance will cover the work, Park hopes it won’t have to be used and that the city will cover the cost.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the city said crews planned to use a cutting blade to try and fix the road on Wednesday night. She said the icy conditions were a “natural occurrence” that resulted from recent freezing and thawing and then freezing again.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said it had not received any calls related to incidents on the road in the past seven days.

How to submit a claim:

Claims should be in the form of a letter and must include:

— A specific description of the incident

— Date and time the incident occurred

— Names of witnesses and their contact information

— Amount being claimed

— Copies of receipts

— Photos related to the incident Exact location of the incident

— Your name, contact information

— Mail the claim to: City Clerk’s Office, 5 Park Street, PO Box 1080, Corner Brook, NL, A2H 6E1.

Source: City of Corner Brook

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Irishtown, Kelly Park 5 Park Street

Comments

Comments

• pansy
    February 24, 2014 - 17:19

My husband & I were driving the same route Saturday night on the way to Pasadena. The roads were terrible. The tires of your car kept getting stuck in the ruts. It appeared that the road had not even been salted.

• william
    February 24, 2014 - 17:07

Riverside drive rd is never looked after properly bec city of cornet brook is in a dispute with the province since it was built saying its part of the highyway and its there responsibility and province says its city's responsibility . City dont care bec they think it will not matter at all

• Judy
    February 24, 2014 - 16:16

This road is never maintained. They must depend on the wood trucks to keep it beat down, because it is never plowed or salted. I went off the road there four years ago because of the same washboard ice build up. Last Thursday, the snow was so high in the middle, the bottom of my car was touching. Unbelievable.

• tammy ruth
    February 24, 2014 - 12:34

I also went off the road there a few weeks ago same thing as you hit a patch of ice and lost control of my car..done a 360 ended up on the other side of the rd and stuck in the snowbank thankfully people stopped to help me and there was no damage done.

• TERRIBLE CONDITION
    February 21, 2014 - 15:00

Sunday evening driving along that same area of road my husband and I helped a man get his vehicle back on the road. On the way back from the city we counted 10 places you could see where people loss control of there vehicles. Then to my disbelief I felt my vehicle slide , but lucky enough i was able to gain control and drive on.

• sb
    February 21, 2014 - 12:57

It's terrible, ruts are huge and ever other day you see one or two cars in the ditch.

• Tom
    February 21, 2014 - 09:22

You pay no taxes to the city of corner brook, so you have no right to complain about the state of our streets. Maybe if these little community's were made to pay taxes to corner brook for using our roads, they wold be in better shape

• Kelly
      February 24, 2014 - 17:24

I can't believe this paying of taxes is still an issue. We spend our grocery money, entertainment, and gas money just to name a few in Corner Brook, I guess I should go to Pasadena or Deer lake to spend my money I'm sure they'd be happy to take my money. So ridiculous!

• sgf
      February 24, 2014 - 16:09

Tom your statement is just crazy. If it wasn't for all those communities spending money into the city, the city wouldn't have near as many businesses as they do now. It wouldn't be long before Walmart would be shut down. Why not just put up and gate with a guard and not allow anyone into the City?....that would include anyone from Deerlake and the great Northern Peninsula. Maybe next time you go to St. John's you should give them some of your own money to use the roads in the City....too silly to talk about!

• Lynn
      February 24, 2014 - 13:02

Tom.. I believe that the money the city of Corner Brook collects from Business Tax....contributed from the Bay of Island Residents is more than enough to pay for the proper Grading of this road....useless you would prefer we shop in Deer Lake

• Concerned
      February 24, 2014 - 12:37

No the people of the North Shore don't live in Corner Brook, however, us like the South Shore, Pasadena, and the surrounding areas do spend our pay checks in Corner Brook. If we can not drive into your city safely how are we suppose to get the basic needs that we can not get in our communities. And FYI if you have went to the city's dump or the graveyard you will notice that our main roads are done so much better then the cities.

• Jackie Barrett
      February 21, 2014 - 13:58

Tom, when you pay Provincial Road Taxes and HST, you are paying taxes to the City of Corner Brook.

• Really Interesting
    February 21, 2014 - 08:30

Road is never maintained, there was no cutting blade used & city ignores this section of road all the time. Look at it now, it's pathetic.

• Llew
    February 21, 2014 - 08:13

Well it's just easier for the city to set the speed limit at a ridiculous 50km/hr and throw up their hands towards any maintenance.

• Jackie Barrett
    February 21, 2014 - 06:52

As a Northern Bay of Islands area resident, I often use Riverside Drive to get to Corner Brook on a regular basis, especially for shopping, 5 Pin Bowling practice, and Powerlifting training. Ever since I moved to the Bay of Islands area about five and a half years ago, the one thing I noticed about Riverside Drive is that its not properly cleared during the winter months, resulting in frequent skidding, difficult navigation, and driving along icy roads. Since Riverside Drive is an important corridor along with West Valley Road, Mt. Bernard Avenue, and O'Connell Drive, the City of Corner Brook needs to pay greater attention to this important link to the Northern Bay of Islands area.