Province will continue helping residents displaced by fire

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Advanced Education and Skills Minister Kevin O’Brien says the province will help displaced senior citizens in St. John’s until they can move back into their apartment complex that caught fire earlier this week.

Almost 180 residents were evacuated from Maplewood Place apartments on Shaw Street after the fire broke out late Wednesday afternoon.

Many of them have since been placed in hotels.

O’Brien, in Corner Brook for cabinet meetings, said Friday that his department is working with the apartment complex’s owners and will continue to look after the residents who have nowhere else to go.

“We have a number of them put up in hotels and will continue to do that as long as it is required,” said O’Brien.

Geographic location: Maplewood Place, Shaw Street, Corner Brook

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Jimbob
    February 23, 2014 - 09:54

    So turns out the building a shambles and the owner is a nightmare locking tenants out from getting their belongings. Don't see anyone shooting off their big mouths about the city of corner brook or the inspectors doing their job or what kind of immigrants the province lets in. Do us all a favour in the future keep your uninformed comments to yourself , losers.