Newfoundland Power asking people to conserve power

Cory
Cory Hurley

Latest News

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro (Hydro) is forecasting reduced generation availability on the electricity system over the next three days.

This, in combination with the extreme cold temperatures expected over this period, could result in power supply shortages. To ensure an adequate supply of electricity throughout peak periods, starting Tuesday until Thursday, both residential and business customers on the island are asked to avoid unnecessary electricity usage and reduce their consumption as much as possible from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Customers can assist in conserving electricity by educing electric heat by turning down thermostats a few degrees, conserving hot water by not running dishwashers, washers and showers, avoiding the use of clothes dryers, and turning off lights when not needed.

If conservation efforts are not sufficient, Newfoundland Power will be required to implement rotating power outages if a shortage in power supply from Hydro exists.

Updates will be provided as required.

Organizations: Newfoundland Power, Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro

Comments

Comments

• Bertie
    March 05, 2014 - 08:31

Come on and get this problem fixed and running at full capacity. How much longer do you guys need to fix this?

• Artie
    March 04, 2014 - 12:05

I use very little electricity anyway simply because I hate paying utility bills to begin with. I think it is a practical impossibility for me to cut more, but at least I am doing my part. I wonder why NL Power is always harping on the people to cut more when businesses are not conserving in any way shape or form. During business hours, they have no choice, but after hours, I am willing to bet there are hundreds of thousands of Kilowatt hours being chewed up by businesses to light up their place of business. I live very close to Murphy's square and the Maple Valley industrial park and I cannot help but wonder why I am asked to reduce usage when these businesses have their businesses lit up like it is a Canada Day celebration. I have no doubt that business owners will scream safety and security and all that crap, but I would suggest that instead of wasting thousands of watts of power they hire an actual person as security and turn the juice volume down. I am willing to bet that if these big businesses could collectively have private security watching out for their businesses. In the long run, I expect it would be cheaper and at the very least, businesses would be doing their part. It is much better than these places wasting juice when their neighbors are asked to not wash clothes, shower, or dish-wash, right about the same time most of these places close for the day. Just a thought.

• Not
    March 04, 2014 - 07:28

Not this time, NOT this time. When you start giving us all back money from the overcharge from the last outages then we will conserve. As the saying goes, " If you don't use it, you lose it", that goes for the way you treat us all as well. If you don't give your customers satisfaction, you lose the satisfaction you will get from the customers. So NL power time to start doing more for us and our light bills, then you will get our help.

• Trish
    March 03, 2014 - 21:14

We should all say NO, why should we? We all tried our hardest to conserve the last time, then they whacked our bills up to absolutely outrageous price. So why should we do them any favors they certainly arnt doing us any. They ripped us off. We pay enough Money to them to have our systems upgraded. Its an eye for an eye. Treat us with respect and we will do the same!

• Not from here
    March 03, 2014 - 19:41

About time NL Power got their house in order and sort things out. I won't be conserving as last time I did NL Power thanked me by providing me a huge bill for using less! For those that experience loss of power complain complain and complain some more and lobby for change until we get a power supply fit for purpose. Shame me once...

• Nick
    March 03, 2014 - 18:02

Just great. I wonder if our power bills will show 100% increases again because of NL Hydro's mishaps and failure to meet demand.

• unknowin
    March 03, 2014 - 17:57

Not bad nuff we pay tons on powdr bills an we still got to go threw this.... not bad when this happens I got to put snow suits on my kids cuz it getz cold.... time to get ys stuff together

• Hodges
    March 03, 2014 - 17:13

Why not shut off a few thousand street lights if we are trying to conserve power ? Just a thought