Frank Coleman will enter the race for the provincial Tories.
© File photo
Frank Coleman announced late Thursday that he will enter the race for the provincial PC Party
In a statement issued late Thursday, the Corner Brook business man said he would file his nomination papers by Fridayâ€™s noon deadline. He was being tight-lipped about his entrance into provincial politics up until now.
â€œI am very excited about this new challenge in my life and I look forward to earning the confidence of the people of this great province," Coleman said in a statement released Friday morning.
An interview request to Coleman by The Western Star was declined Friday. He plans to reveal more at the official launch of his campaign next week.
Speculation had been running rampant over the last few weeks as to what Colemanâ€™s intentions would be concerning the race. He had not returned interview requests since announcing he was considering running.
Wayne Bennett, formerly of the Newfoundland and Labrador First Party told The Western Star that as of Thursday afternoon he only needed 14 more signatures to allow him to complete the paperwork for the Friday deadline.
Corner Brook fish plant owner Bill Barry has also thrown his hat into the ring, recently promising to bring what he calls an outsiderâ€™s approach to politics. Clarence Cantwell, also of Corner Brook, has announced his intentions to run. Attempts to reach Cantwell thus far Friday have been unsuccessful.
Early Friday morning, Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Steve Kent announced that he would stay out of the race. Former cabinet minister Shawn Skinner has also withdrawn his name.