Cantwell comes up just shy of nomination requirements

TC
TC Media

Clarence Cantwell, a young working man from Corner Brook, was unable to join the progressive conservative leadership race after failing to secure the required number of signatures to launch his campaign.

Cantwell said Friday that he secured 42 of the 50 needed, falling just short. He said he had the $10,000 required and other obligations in place.

He did not sound too disappointed when contacted early Friday afternoon.

“At least I can say I tried,” he said. “Not many people can say they did that.”

He called it a learning experience.

Geographic location: Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• Crazy
    March 17, 2014 - 11:19

@ John Snook - George pb, The young man got his money, by working...Try and having a conversation with him, you'll be surprise how hard he work. One thing I can say about him, he don't sit around.

• John snook
    March 15, 2014 - 10:00

Nice to see a younger generation with get up and go. I have to ask how someone like this young man could come up with $10,000 but not manage 50 signatures. I'm actually a little relieved for him. I don't think it would be a good investment, so guess that would make him a suitable canidate for NL politics.

• george p b
      March 16, 2014 - 15:31

I wondered about that also John. Thought the number must be a misprint. After all, a favorite son could round up 50 signatures by just standing on Broadway outside the subway....or in York Harbour at Byrne's store...I mean 50 folks to sign their name.....

• mainlander
    March 15, 2014 - 08:55

Good effort young man. You tried a lot harder than most of you generation has lately.

• Crazy
    March 15, 2014 - 05:25

Don't feel sorry, Everyone know its another fix leadership race, just like the one the liberal had. That one of the reason we can't move forwards,

• Wayne R Bennett
      March 17, 2014 - 05:50

I would agree with your observation that the PC Leadership race could be fixed? I have extremely difficulty obtaining my required 50 signatures as the majority of know PCs in Corner Brook were being held in reserve for Mr Coleman. For those who would have supported me, they have left the PC Party in disgust after decades as party supporters and have taken out Liberal memberships

• wayne r bennett
    March 15, 2014 - 04:06

BZ for trying. You will live to fight another day