Smoke detector credited for saving lives of elderly Degrau couple

Frank
Frank Gale
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Fire destroys house in Degrau

A smoke detector alert is being credited for saving the lives of an elderly couple whose home was completely destroyed by a fire in the early morning hours of Monday in Degrau.

Alvin Tallack said his 73-year-old stepfather was awakened in the early morning hours of Monday by the smoke detector in the couple’s house, located on Oceanview Drive and he quickly woke his 68-year-old wife and got her out of the house, which was quickly filling with smoke.

“They managed to get out of the house with just the clothes on their backs,” Tallack said. 

Police received the call on the fire at 2:36 a.m. on Monday.

Cst. Justin Deluney of the Bay St. George RCMP said police didn’t have a figure on the loss of the residence but said insurance was carried and police investigators don’t believe the fire was suspicious.

Tallack said his parents’ home was beautiful and the couple had nothing but the best in it.

He said for the interim his parents are living with their daughter in Kippens.

Tallack said he has no idea what might have caused the fire as the wood furnace in the home had been out since midnight, several hours prior to the blaze.

 

Geographic location: Degrau, Kippens

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments