UPDATE: Coleman touts PCs as best party to lead Newfoundland and Labrador

James
James McLeod

Premier designate Frank Coleman talked about the provincial economy and the record of the PC Party, speaking to the Rotary Club of St. John's Thursday.

Premier designate Frank Coleman (right) chats with Rotary Club of St. John's president Ian Penney. — Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

"We're not only relevant, but we're the best party to lead this province," Coleman said.

Coleman's speech was combative, and directly aimed at Liberal Leader Dwight Ball, saying that the government has improved services and grown the economy in the past 10 years.
By contrast, Coleman said that Ball's alternative is nothing more than pessimism and austerity.

Coleman said with few exceptions, people are better off than they were a decade ago, the province's finances are on a stronger footing, and population out-migration has declined.
"The rest of Canada no longer sees us as a joke," he said. "We are admired, respected and an economy worth emulating."

He said everything isn't perfect, and that's what is motivating him in politics, but he said he believes the province is better positioned than at any other time in history.
The speech to Rotary was the first public event Coleman has done in the capital city since he entered politics more than two months ago.

•••

(Earlier story)

Premier designate Frank Coleman addressing St. John's Rotary Club

Premier designate Frank Coleman is speaking to members of the St. John's Rotary Club this afternoon.

In the attached photo, Coleman (right) chats with Rotary Club of St. John's president Ian Penney, prior to the start of the club's weekly luncheon meeting at the Sheraton Newfoundland hotel.

Organizations: Rotary Club, Sheraton Newfoundland hotel

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Forward Thunker
    May 23, 2014 - 09:44

I'll believe him when I can see the Briefing notes from the last Ice Caps game. That's right!

• citizen kane
    May 22, 2014 - 21:47

As usual he says a lot of nothing but useless platitudes, as if he was talking to children. Just call the election so we can show you what we think of the PC's. Then you can go back to the grocery store. I liken Colemen to the guy sitting at a poker table trying to figure out who the sucker is, if you can't you are the sucker Mr Colemen.

• John Q public
    May 22, 2014 - 21:35

Not a chance Mr. Coleman. I will never vote for any provincial or federal Progressive Conservatives in the upcoming general election. I urge when I think of another 4 years of tory bull. My motto is anything but blue....

• Respected
    May 22, 2014 - 19:18

Sounds like Liberal cronies to me! Nothing positive!

• taking stock
    May 22, 2014 - 16:49

I agree with the man. I flirted with the idea of voting Liberal but with Kirby and Mitchelmore there, I cannot support either in Cabinet. Let alone Lane or Osborne. What about Eddie Joyce or Mr. Bennett. I will vote PC next time.

• Corporate Psycho
    May 22, 2014 - 16:43

This guy is so not ready.

• Daniel's Garson
    May 22, 2014 - 16:39

Oh my, what Danny and Tim wouldn't come up with tell him to say now. Emera needs him there, not NLer's.. If we had no oil money to get he wouldn't want the job. The rest of the Pc MHA's sits their and allows it to happen Same ole BS..

• John Q public
    May 22, 2014 - 15:49

I got news for you Mr Coleman I am not personally better off. St Johns appears to be burning up with prosperity not other areas of Nfld. Why don't you open your eyes while traveling the province.... Your government has given us large deficits with costly consequences in terms of services cuts and layoffs. Muskrat Falls will cost all Nl residents in higher electricity bills while Nova Scotia residents see no worthwhile increases. What's up with that? Our fishery is a mess. Off loading more fees on to residents like proposed 911levies, like this is not a tax increase. Plunging Newfoundland and Lab. Into darkness in winter and your government stated this was not a crisis. Bull. Hiding info. from the public. Thousands of Nl residents leaving their families and having to go to Alberta to work, you call that prosperity. I could go on and on. Your government does not deserve another term.. Time for any change. All Progressive Conservatives provincially and federally have to go.... And that's my message to you sir...

• Charles Murphy
    May 22, 2014 - 15:26

Mr Coleman please explain it to me, you said we are better of now, then we were ten years ago, Economy in corner brook is dead, we shipping out more of our people, along with our resource. Mill is on it last leg, We have people all over this province is going with out food and heat. We are in the poor house all because of one project, On the Northern Peninsula there a pallet plant sitting vantage, monument to the PC's. We have a paper mill in grand falls, that should be up and running on behalf of the people. Yes sir we are doing great. My list can go on. Has for you going to try and restart economy, your not the man for that job. Reason is, Because you just don't understand the issue, Only thing your going to do, is put us deeper debt. I'm angry to see the hurts on my people faces, where every I go's I see pain. people suffering though no fault of their owns, Put place upon on them by our so call educated leader's . Who words like the wind, with no foundation. just wind.

• Maurice E. Adams
    May 22, 2014 - 13:40

With 10- 20 billion in offshore oil revenues, how we many not be in a better place? Unfortunately, half that has been blown in a large hole in Labrador --- for the benefit of Nova Scotia and contractors friendly to government. Now they are sidling up to the Liberals to keep the ball rolling.

• Tony Rockel
    May 22, 2014 - 13:05

"The best party"? --- yes, the best party to lead this province into permanent exploitation and financial ruin.

• Who's Your Daddy?
    May 22, 2014 - 13:00

If my son made a call to the PC party and got refunded $10M, I'd say they're the best party to lead NL too!

• Daddy's Boy
      May 22, 2014 - 15:13

ah, more like $20M + ! da Tory party is the bestest!