Published on June 05, 2014
Corner Brook's Kathy Elliott, who is now living in Moncton, is seen in this file photo.
Published on June 05, 2014
This image shows the lock-down zone established by the RCMP in Moncton as they hunt down suspected killer Justin Bourque. Former Corner Brook resident Kathy Elliott lives within the zone on Ryan Street.
The only thing former Corner Brook resident Kathy Elliott was concerned about when she first returned to her home in Moncton, N.B. Wednesday evening was that she had missed her favourite television show, “Coronation Street.”
However, it wasn’t long after that the drama on her own street had become all to real.
Elliott, who moved to Moncton from Corner Brook three years ago, lives on Ryan Street, smack dab in the middle of the lock-down zone established by the RCMP after three of its officers were killed and two more wounded by suspected gunman Justin Bourque Wednesday evening.
In an interview with The Western Star Thursday morning, Elliott said she had driven past the area where the gunshots had been fired and all was quiet just after 7 p.m. Wednesday.
She got a call from her daughter, Amy, about a half an hour after she had arrived home, warning Elliot to not go outside and to draw her curtains.
Elliott did so and then turned to the Internet and television for news updates. She was horrified to see images of the police set up near the fire station on Hildegard Street that had been quiet when she had passed it not long before and to hear gunshots bing fired on the video.
“I just came down Hildegard about a half an hour ago ... within the next couple of hours, everything just broke loose about this madman with a gun and pictures of him in camouflage,” said Elliott of the initial stages of the situation.
It was a long night and the fear has hardly subsided with the arrival of morning and the latest news update that Bourque was still on the loose and had reportedly been seen three times Thursday morning. One of those sightings was just up the street from Elliott’s home.
Elliott was also concerned for her daughter and her family, who lives just across the street and whose property backs on to a field and wooded area.
All they could do during the ordeal, said Elliott, was abide by what the police were advising everyone in the neighbourhood to do.
“The scary thing about it is he’s not in hiding,” she said. “If he’s that bold to be out and about in the daytime, then he’s still very volatile.”
As of press time Thursday, the suspect in the shootings was still at large.
In Elliott’s home province, the flags were at half-mast at Confederation Building and Premier Tom Marshall asked for a moment of silence Thursday afternoon in the House of Assembly to mark the deaths of three RCMP officers.
“Where would we be without individuals as brave as this? Where would we be without the police officers who keep our families safe?” Marshall said in the legislature. “Let us make this pledge: to stand by our police officers, to respect and honour them for what they do, to honour their fallen comrades, and to remember their families, who are heartbroken today.”
Saying she hopes nobody else gets hurt, Elliott expressed sorrow for the families of the police officer killed and for the family of the gunman too.
“God willing, they get him soon,” she said.
Meanwhile the City of Corner Brook issued a statement that flags at all city-owned buildings will be lowered at half-mast in memory of the three RCMP officers who lost their lives and out of respect for the two police officer wounded in action.