© Star photo by Chris Quigley
Exterior damage from a kitchen fire is seen at the back of this house on Humber Road.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary say a house fire on Humber Road early Friday morning was caused by cooking and there is nothing suspicious about it. The fire call was received by the Corner Brook Fire Department at 4:36 a.m.
Chief Neville Wheaton said a crew of eight firefighters responded to the home.
“When we got there we had smoke showing,” said Wheaton.
He said the lone resident of the home was out of the building at the time and did not require any medical attention.
“We entered from the front of the building, from the street side, and discovered that the fire was in the kitchen area.”
The kitchen was located at the back of the building and in flames.
Wheaton said it’s a normal response to fight the fire from the unburnt side and push it out away from the rest of a building.
“The guys did a great job, and knocked it down. They were able to contain it to the kitchen area,” he said.
Wheaton said there was some smoke damage to the home.