Newfoundland Herald accused of propagating hate against LGBTQ community

Western Pride NL is has filed a complaint with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary alleging that The Newfoundland Herald has propagated hate against the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgendered queer and/or questioning) community by publishing an article that speaks of the “evil homosexuals.”

They say the publication of the blog article “The Coming Christian Revolt,” from the fundamentalist Christian blog site Barbwire is a hate crime under the Criminal Code of Canada.

The article which only appeared in The Herald’s latest print edition can be found online at http://www.donotlink.com/framed?515521.

In an open letter to The Newfoundland Herald, representatives of Western Pride NL say the article was one that was entirely out of context.

They say it was an article addressing a debate plaguing U.S. popular politics concerning Christian rights vs. LGBTQ rights.

The article criticized the U.S. government administration for the crime of proposing equal rights to those with differing sexual orientations from the heterosexual mainstream.

Conversely, the group said, Canada is a country that values diversity and equality and has legislation in place to protect underrepresented social/cultural groups (such as the LGBTQ community).

Putting aside the “rampant homophobia and ignorance” of the article, the group questions why the Herald, a television guide, has published an article, one that fits the bill of hate speech, which is completely out of touch with the social, cultural and political contexts of this province and the country at large.

The group said the article “will cause harm” to LGBTQ people across the province.

Organizations: The Herald

Geographic location: Newfoundland, U.S., Canada

Comments

Comments

• Brian
    August 08, 2014 - 20:51

I'm sorry...I've read the article, where exactly is the hate speech? Saying that Christians should follow what the bible actually says is somehow propagating hate? I see plenty of references to peaceful civil disobedience, and not obeying discrimination laws that would make someone feel as thought they were complicit in what the bible teaches is "sin", but "hate speech"? No where does the article call homosexuals evil. I must have been looking the other way when what has historically been the view of scriptures and Christian doctrine suddenly has become extreme and hateful. So much for tolerance I guess...tolerate anyone and anything as long as they agree with popular liberal ideology...not sure bigots should call people bigots. And by the way...I'm not the only Christian in NL that believes what the bible says...so western pride should stop trying to say that I'm irrelevant! Hang on...isn't that an attack and discriminatory to me? No, it isn't, because I respect the right of the LGBTQ community to have and state its beliefs without fear of prosecution. I love my LGBTQ friends and relatives and hate to see anyone especially them hurt because of real hate crimes actually committed against them, but they respect my rights and I respect theirs, especially their right to express themselves. I'd die to defend the rights of the LGBTQ community to express their beliefs publically...and I would hope they would defend mine.

• Bud
      August 08, 2014 - 23:00

Well Brian you clearly did not read the article, nor the bible either. The "evil" reference is made multiple times and the bible teaches both Love and Hate, people have been raising it high for centuries focusing on the tiny parts to force their view on others ignoring the other 99% at their convenience.

• dave sharpe
    August 08, 2014 - 13:42

I disagree. I think the Herald has no business putting this garbage in their publication. It was a conscious decision to do so and they are certainly answerable for it imho. Why would they have immunity for a conscious decision.?

• McCadden
    August 08, 2014 - 12:54

I do not agree with Jack that the Nfld Herald is not responsible. ANY publisher or broadcaster is responsible for what they publish or air to the public - legally responsible. That said, I agree that the wacky views of the extreme right wing publication called "Barbwire" are appalling. However, if one goes online and researches this group you will soon learn that they represent a small minority of red-necked individuals who - at best - can be described as "nuts". I can't fathom why the Herald would want to publish such garbage, except to increase their circulation. Some say "there is no bad publicity'. Thankfully we live in a society in which the majority are tolerant and polite people. To the LBGT groups I'd suggest: consider the source. To the Herald I'd suggest: apologize. Fast.

• Jack
    August 08, 2014 - 07:15

While I don't tolerate any attacks towards individuals from different sexual orientations, Western Pride NL are going after the wrong party, and that's The Newfoundland Herald. They should be going after Barbwire and other writers of “The Coming Christian Revolt”, not The Newfoundland Herald. In short, while Western Pride NL may have a case against Barbwire, they won't have a case against The Newfoundland Herald.

• Anna
      August 08, 2014 - 13:20

Of course they do. The Newfoundland Herald distributed hate speech, regardless of whether or not they wrote it, they are violating Canadian hate speech laws. If it were the case that you could distribute hate speech as long as you didn't write it, it would be as easy as saying, "Oh, I don't know who wrote this" when you get caught. The NL Herald has always been a Christian-central magazine-- which is fine, until it starts pushing a hateful message under a Christian visage. We don't have freedom of speech in Canada where you can simply say whatever you want without consequence. The media has freedom of speech "only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society". The Herald is in the wrong here. The editor should have caught this non-sense and put a stop to it immediately.