© Frank Gale
C-Mac Construction is operating 10 school buses in Stephenville and area.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is urging parents to review safety tips with their children who travel to and from school on a bus.
The tips provided by police as the school year begins Wednesday are:
• walk your children to the bus stop and supervise them while
they wait when possible
• Educate your children on the proper use of crosswalks. Use a marked crosswalk whenever possible and wait for traffic to stop completely before crossing
• When boarding a school bus, line up in single file and wait on the sidewalk until
the bus has come to a complete stop and has opened the doors
• Once on the bus, sit in the first available seat and remain seated while the bus is
in motion. When exiting the bus, students should wait for the bus to
come to a complete stop before standing
• Once off the bus, students should move away from the bus and cross the street
in front of the bus while the driver has the arm up and red lights flashing.
Drivers are also urged to be extra cautious and obey traffic laws related to school buses. It is an offence under the Highway Traffic Act to pass a school bus that has red lights flashing and is in the process of loading and unloading. This offence carries a fine of up to six demerit points and a fine not exceeding $400.