© Paul Hutchings
Deer Lake council discusses the woes of a local gymnastics club, who just received a rather large power bill. The town will look into fixing up the insulation of the building. Pictured, from left, are Coun. Jean Young, Deputy Mayor Sandra Pinksen, Coun. Kerry Jones, town manager Maxine Hayden and Mayor Dean Ball.
By Paul Hutchings
Star Staff Writer
DEER LAKE The town depot on Gatehouse Road could be getting an insulation upgrade over the next several weeks as numbers from the Gracia Gymnastics Club was made public at Monday night’s bi-weekly council meeting.
Council said they will look at a obtaining the services of a company to fill in the top section with spray insulation after it was revealed that the gymnastics club’s power bill came to over $3,000 in the last month along, since major cold snap hit the area.
The club rents the space from the town for a nominal fee but is according to council responsible for their own power bill. Mayor Dean Ball surmised during the meeting that the heat must be escaping from the top of the building because of all the ice and water falling off it.
Town Superintendent Dave Thomas said the rest of the building, which houses heavy equipment, vehicles and workshops, don’t seem to be affected. Its oil furnace, while relatively old, he said, has been worked on.
“(The furnace) has a new burner and new electronics,” he said. “It works well, there has been work done on it so hopefully some insulation might help.”
Coun. Elmo Bingle said during the meeting that the furnace is set at 19 degrees and the furnace, he said, must be running nonstop.
The club certainly isn’t the only organization affected by the severe cold in the last few weeks. During the meeting council officially thanked the local Salvation Army, as well as the Red Cross and the Deer Lake Fire Department for their help during a major power outage two weeks ago.
The town set up a warming shelter in the local high school, mainly for seniors, when power was lost for most of the day last Saturday. Power was restored reportedly after 6 p.m. and attendees were able to be brought home.