Nothing was said about starting over

Dear Editor: I would like to respond to the editorial which was published in The Western Star on Monday, Dec. 2.

It was concerning the proposed new regional hospital in Corner Brook and how the Liberals will try and implement a new plan if elected in 2015, which would be going back to square one, delaying the start of construction.

I have been very vocal in the local media, on call-in shows, and in the House of Assembly, that this new hospital should have expanded diagnostic equipment, such as a radiation unit and a PET scanner. The residents of western Newfoundland, the Northern Peninsula and Labrador deserve these services.

Health Minister Susan Sullivan stated that she has not received any calls wanting a radiation unit or PET scanner in this new facility, so it is not a priority.

If I don’t inform the residents affected that these pieces of equipment are not, and will not be included in the design stage, I would not be performing my duty as the MHA for the Bay of Islands.

The new regional hospital was announced in 2007 with anticipated opening last year in 2012. Currently, this hospital is still in the design stage, which the engineering report by Stantec says will take up to two years to complete by 2015.  Based on this estimate, completion of construction of the hospital would be in 2021.

This is why I’m raising the alarm. These patient services are not included in the hospital design, which the Dunderdale government publicly stated. Now is the time to have the suggested patient services included in the design of the new hospital.

In the report by Stantec the estimated cost of the hospital was $1 billion, as stated by the consultants and the Department of Transportation and Works. Now, the estimated cost for the hospital is $600 million. What has been reduced and what new patient services are not being considered?

In closing, I am not suggesting starting over on this project, but a new hospital for the west coast is still only in the design stage, and I am trying to implement change early on.

I am not suggesting, nor have I ever suggested going back to square one. It would be too costly, but there is time to make this facility the best possible.

This is why I am trying to have diagnostic equipment like the radiation unit and PET scanner included in the design stage.

The residents of western Newfoundland, the Northern Peninsula and Labrador deserve the best possible hospital.

Eddie Joyce, MHA, Bay of Islands

Organizations: Dear Editor, Stantec, Department of Transportation and Works

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Western Star, Corner Brook Bay of Islands

Comments

Comments

• david
    December 09, 2013 - 09:56

And the real Danny Williams legacy continues to bear fruit. Shrewd politicians with a grain of ambition can whip this very dead horse for a few years yet....while these uniquely dimwitted spectators continue to place bets and daydream of how to spend their winnings. "Get up, Danny's Gluebag! Go! "

• Charles
    December 09, 2013 - 06:02

I have to agree with ( IN OVER YOUR ED ), This new Hospital for Corner Brook, Just a political game for the liberals, hoping to form the next government, All you have to do , go back to the days of the liberals. If you wanted to prove me wrong, Ask the liberals where do they see the province in the next four years, You'll find out about some of the silliest answer in newfoundland history coming from that party, Because none of them got a clue whats really going on, just like to blow wind.

• Blunt
      December 10, 2013 - 12:55

Then please enlighten us on what you would do ??????

• Gloria O'Connell
    December 08, 2013 - 09:58

Way to go Eddie. I think we need to get rid of all PC s out of government. I thought it was supposed to be the peoples government. But noooo it's harpers government and dunderdale is one of them. We need them out. Then we might get somewhere with this all.

• in over his ed
    December 07, 2013 - 19:51

easy to whine and moan when your in opposition now for joyce; when he was MHA when member of NL government that was in power he did NOT even show to public meetings at Columbus Club re hospital cuts by his Liberals lead by Brian Tobin and Roger Grimes; funny he wasn't too interested or concerned then about local WMRH back then and NOT VOCAL; now in opposition he whines and moans about his DUTIES what joke this fellow his; I dare say he signed this letter but I don't think he actually wrote it; but he gets his name in paper; and perpetuates myth that he is doing something; he wasn't too VOCAL when Grimes told him that little tiny MRI machine was going to Gfalls and not bigger center of Corner Brook; where was he then? I guess cat by name Tobin had his tongue; Vocally we didn't hear a peep out of him; now he's wimpering complaining about $700 million hospital; oh the safety of having not to make actual decision about anything when you're in opposition; I'd put my faith in Tom Marshall and PC government in delivering on new health care facility for Cbrook; and ignore complaints from this fellow; who after 20 years cant name one thing he's accomplished or done for bay islands district; other than whine and complain

• Judy white
    December 07, 2013 - 10:17

Great job Eddie Joyce for raising such an important issue. Keep up the great work.