Dear Editor: The ongoing discussion over the Muskrat Falls project continues to raise important questions both publically and in the legislature.
Although the project has received sanction from both proponents in Nova Scotia and in Newfoundland, the process to date still remains muddied in government propaganda.
Government continues to give the people of the province yet another reason not to trust them, although they claim to be acting in the best interest of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.
We’ve already learned that government has been transferring money to Nalcor to facilitate the construction of Muskrat Falls, therefore breaking their promise to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador to not transfer money to Nalcor for Muskrat Falls until project sanction.
However, in the House of Assembly this past fall, government was forced to come clean and admit that they transferred $45 million to Nalcor on Oct. 1, 80 per cent of that was allocated to Muskrat Falls, and the other 20 per cent to oil and gas.
Not only did government break their commitment to the people of the province, but they secretly transferred millions of public funds ahead of the Decision Gate 3 numbers, which were released on Oct. 30, 2012.
The secrecy and dishonesty shown by government around this money transfer is a bad start to a $9-billion project.
This is another example of the lack of transparency with this government. We’re now left to question what else this government is hiding about the Muskrat Falls project.
Dwight Ball, Liberal Opposition leader, MHA Humber Valley