Royals lose in shootout

Paul Hutchings
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Western Royals

DEER LAKE In what may have been one of the closest games of the season, the Western Royals lost to the Grand Falls/Windsor Cataracts 3-2 in a sudden death shootout.

Andrew Brennan of the Cataracts scored the final goal.

Cataracts left winger Andrew Brennan scored the winning goal after a shootout that lasted almost ten minutes. Goalie Trent Pollett of the Cataracts and Royals goalie Bryan Gillis kept the crowd on its feet, keeping the puck out of their respective nets. But Brennan managed to sneak a low shot past Gillis on what turned out to be the last shot of the night.

The Cataracts opened the game with a goal by winger Andrew Piercey at 10:56 of the first period. The Royals followed it up with a Brian Barker goal at 2:23 of the first and took the lead 20 seconds later when Scott Doody put one past Pollett.

A slow second period saw Cataracts defenseman Luke Gallant tie it up with a wrist shot that got past Gillis. The game slowed a little for the rest of the period, with both teams coming out more forcefully in the third.

After no score in the final period, the Royals sent players Mark Robinson, Chris Peach Ryan Penny, Justin Barbour and Parker Deighan to try their luck against the hot Cataracts goalie. The Cataracts sent Brennan, as well as Cam Fergus, Rob Hennigar, Andre Gill, Brandon Street and Rodi Short.

The Hodder Memorial Recreation Complex was almost full for the game. Before it started, the crowd took part in the annual Teddy toss that saw hundreds of stuffed animals thrown onto the ice to be distributed to Children by the Salvation Army this Christmas.

The Cataracts are still in first place after the loss, with the Royals occupying second. The two teams will play again Sunday afternoon in Deer Lake.


Cataracts tie it up, 2-2 after the second period


DEER LAKE A slower second period has resulted in a 2-2 tie in Western Senior Hockey League action at the Hodder in Deer Lake.

Luke Gallant popped in the equalizer at almost two minutes into the second period. The Royals had several chances afterward, such as when forward Chris Peach had an open shot on the Cataracts net, but shot it over the mesh and out of play.

The game slowed down a little, but towards the end of the second period, both teams seemed to get jolts of energy, and the third period could be faster.



Royals up 2-1 after first period


DEER LAKE After a slow start, the Western Royals are up over the Grand Falls Cataracts 2-1.

The Western Senior Hockey League game started off slowly for the Royals in their home stadium in Deer Lake, when Cataracts forward Andrew Piercey scored the first goal of the game, with a wrist shot from just past the Royals’ blue line at 10:56 of the first period.

The Royals answered back with 2:23 seconds left in the first with a goal by Brian Barker. Exactly twenty seconds later, Royals forward Scott Doody popped one past the Cataracts goalie to make it 2-1 at the buzzer.

The game started out with the traditional Teddy Toss, providing toys for the Salvation Army to distribute to those in need. There are still some seats left, and several fans have traveled in from Central Newfoundland to cheer on their Cataracts.


Organizations: Salvation Army, Western Senior Hockey League, Hodder

Geographic location: DEER LAKE, Grand Falls, Brandon Street Central Newfoundland

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page