CORNER BROOK Steve May credits his winning streak to his learning experience on how to prepare for the journey.
May, a Corner Brook native, won his fourth-straight Marble RV Corner Brook Triathlon menâs crown with a final clocking of two hours, three minutes and 13.6 seconds Sunday afternoon in front of about 200 triathlon supporters along the race route.
âYou got to learn how to train for it and learn to know what to expect,ââMay said after the race, noting his training the past two years has been focused on multiple sports with a bike and run the norm most training days.
Going for a run is very different than hitting the pavement for a run after swimming and cycling, May was quick to point out.
âWhen you get off the bike and start to run hard it feels absolutely terrible and I would think everybody feels that same way, but you got to accept it and realize âyou know what youâre going run through thisâ, especially if your trained for it,ââhe said.
Two big guns in the chase for the crown heading into Sundayâs quest for No. 4, Aubrey Sanders and Carl Barrett, emptied the tank in Sundayâs showdown in an effort to dethrone May.
It wasnât to be on this day.
Barrett finished second, crossing the finish line in 2:11:12.9, while Sanders nabbed third place with a time of 2:13:23.7.
May thought both guys would be chasing him for the title because they have been working hard to prepare for bigger races down the road.
âSo, I spent the whole swim and bike trying to get a little bit of a lead on them so that Iâd be running scared on the third section,â he said. âAs it happened, I had a really good swim and a really good bike and I had a big gap on the run. So then it became a time goal because I was trying to break 40 minutes on the run, but Iâdonât think I got there but I was close.â
May admits that part of his motivation every year is to keep his winning streak intact with so many challengers popping up each year.
However, heâs more interested in seeing others embrace the sport like he has to get all the benefits he derives from his participation. Seeing so many young of the cityâs youth getting involved is something that makes him smile for sure.
âThatâs the most encouraging thing about the whole day is seeing those young people out there and knowing that they got the courage to say âyou know what I donât know how this is going to go but Iâm going to give it a shot.â May said.
Geordie Summers-Lubar was among the young guns to celebrate success on Sunday.
One more year of studies left to complete at St. Francis Xavier, Summers-Lubar won the menâs title in the short course triathlon with a time of 1:11:30.3.
He felt good about his swim since it was a short distance and he had no issues on the bike portion.
The grind of the run with its hilly sections werenât so kind to him. He really struggled with the steep incline in the Margaret Bowater Park section of the run course.
âThe sunâs baking down on you and youâre going uphill the whole time,â Summers-Lubar said of the run component after the race.
He completed in the full triathlon back in 2010, but admitted he no longer trains like he did a few years back because school has been a priority for him.
He obviously knew what his body was capable of handling.
âI just havenât been training as much as I used to and Iâm not as fit as I once was I suppose,â he said of his choice to a smaller-scaled event.
For complete results from all events from Sunday's triathlon see below:
1. Steve May Corner Brookâ 2:03:13.6
2. Carl Barrett Corner Brook â 2:11:12.9
3. Aubrey Sanders Corner Brook â 2:13:23.7
4. Steve Cave Corner Brook â 2:24:27.2
5. Tom Knight Steady Brook â 2:26:56.6
6. Mark Tierney Corner Brook â 2:29:19.5
7. Gord Doman Corner Brook â 2:33:07.7
8. Sue Rodgers Grand Falls-Windsor â 2:33:09.3
9. Peter Callahan Humber Village â 2:36:10.3
10. Bruce Hamlyn Corner Brook â 2:41:40.0
11. Adrienne Thomas St. Johnâs (Corner Brook native) â 2:42:07.7
12. Kevin Flynn St. Johnâs â 2:45:53.0
13. Ray Baird Lewinâs Cove (Corner Brook native) â 2:49:15.3
14. Janice Galliott Corner Brook â 2:55:34.5
15. Suzanne Lacour Corner Brook â 2:55:34.5
16. Krista Mackinnon Grand Falls-Windsor â 2:57:36.9
17. Laura Edwards Corner Brook ââ3:00:55.2
18. Mervyn Dean Corner Brook â 3:13:31.6
DNF â Russell Downer Park City, Utah
Short Course Triathlon
1. Geordie Summers-Lubar Corner Brook â 1:11:30.3
2. Trent Burden Steady Brook ââ1:15:11.5
3. Andre Charlebois Corner Brook â 1:17:09.7
4. Heidi Perry Corner Brook â 1:21:50.6
5. Tara Noseworthy Corner Brook â 1:31:11.9
6. Warren Brake Halifax, N. S. ââ1:33:09.8
7. Gillian Bishop London, UK ââ1:38:28.3
7. Jody Bishop Halifax, N. S. â 1:38:28.3
9. Jamie Silken Merrigan Corner Brook â 1:39:37.4
10. Lisa LeDrew Corner Brook â 1:41:07.3
11. Rebecca Cole Grand Falls-Windsor ââ1:42:18.5
12. Emily Philpott Corner Brook â 1:46:11.8
13. Allison Hamlyn Corner Brook â 1:47:19.2
DNF â James Merrigan Corner Brook
Short Course Duathlon
1. Jamie Fowlow Corner Brook ââ1:28:52.1
Team Triathlon Overall
1. The Solutions Corner Brook â 2:00:08.1
2. Team Happenstance Corner Brook ââ2:07:05.0
3. JVL Corner Brook â 2:16:32.3
Team Short Course Triathlon Overall
1. Splash Corner Brook â 1:14:28.3
2. The Flash Corner Brook â 1:22:47.6
3. Salt Water Cowboys Corner Brook â 1:23:57.6
4. The Dashers Corner Brook â 1:29:34.4