A residential fire today on Oceanview Drive in Cape St. George has left a man and his wife without a home; however, firefighters were able to prevent nearby structures from burning.
Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Deaves of Port au Port Regional Fire Department, who lives in Cape St. George, attended the fire and served as incident commander.
He said firefighters were called out at 1:25 p.m. and when he arrived the structure was already engulfed in flames. Cape St. George Fire Department requested assistance from Lourdes Regional Fire Department and Port au Port Regional, who both arrived about the same time.
By that time, battling high winds, the fire department had gone into defensive mode as it was determined they couldn’t save the house.
Deaves said the homeowner was in town at the time of the fire but wasn’t at home. He said it was his understanding the house was equipped with smoke detectors and that insurance was carried on the home, which was a total loss.