Top News

Corner Brook woman charged with careless use of a gun in disturbance on Clarence Street

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary maintained a presence throughout the day Wednesday at a property where a firearm was allegedly discharged on Clarence Street earlier in the morning. A woman and a man were each charged with offences as a result of the investigation.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary maintained a presence throughout the day Wednesday at a property where a firearm was allegedly discharged on Clarence Street earlier in the morning. A woman and a man were each charged with offences as a result of the investigation.

The woman charged with several serious offences after a handgun was allegedly discharged in a Corner Brook home will be back in court today.

The 31-year-old woman was taken into custody after the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary responded to a disturbance on Clarence Street at around 12:05 a.m. Wednesday morning.

As a result of the investigation, she was arrested and charged with careless use of a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a restricted weapon and assault. Information filed at the court registry indicated the weapon involved was a handgun.

She was held in custody and appeared in provincial court later Wednesday morning.

Crown attorney Adam Sparkes indicated he was opposed to releasing her for now, but that he might be agreeable to her release if certain conditions could be met.

Defence counsel John Hartery told the court he would be pursuing efforts to see if the conditions required by the Crown could be met.

The matter will be called in court again this afternoon to determine if she will be released or remanded or if a bail hearing will be required.

A 30-year-old man from Corner Brook was also arrested as a result of this incident. He was charged with unsafe storage of a firearm and ammunition and was released from custody to appear in provincial court at a later date.

While the information outlining charges against him had not yet been sworn at provincial court as of deadline Wednesday, information against the woman indicated he was the man she is accused of assaulting.

Police said the man, who was known to the woman, sustained minor injuries as result of the alleged assault. Police said his injuries were not the result of the firearm being discharged and he did not require a visit to the hospital for medical treatment.

*****This story has been edited because of a publication ban granted in provincial court Thursday*****

Recent Stories