There has been no dispute that a pool is needed, but the City of Corner Brook wasn’t willing to go it alone when it came to both building and operating a new facility.
But earlier this year the city came to an agreement with the YMCA of Western Newfoundland, Humber Community and some neighbouring towns on funding a feasibility study on the viability of building a new regional aquatic centre.
A few month’s ago a request for proposals went out to look for a consultant to complete the study and, during Monday’s council meeting, the contract was awarded to Tract Consulting Inc. at an estimated total cost of $107,479 (HST included.)
The provincial government is providing 70 per cent of the funding needed for the study, with the city and its partners covering the remaining 30 per cent. It was noted during the meeting that the Corner Brook Rapids Swim Club has also agreed to contribute to the study.
Mayor Charles Pender said the city hopes to have a report before January that would include an operating model so that a decision can be made on if the group will proceed and seek funding for the construction.