Top News

Work to relocate Corner Brook skate park on hold until detailed plan worked out

Work to relocate Corner Brook’s skateboard park to this site on Wellington Street is on hold, pending city’s final approval of the project. Heavy equipment is seen here layering subgrade composite on the proposed new location.
Work to relocate Corner Brook’s skateboard park to this site on Wellington Street is on hold, pending city’s final approval of the project. Heavy equipment is seen here layering subgrade composite on the proposed new location.

The City of Corner Brook says it fully supports the relocation of the downtown skate park, but wants more detailed plans before the work can proceed.

As reported in Thursday’s edition of The Western Star, site preparation work had started on an area of the former B diamond softball field on Wellington Street earlier this week.

While the City of Corner Brook would not confirm what the work was about Wednesday, on Thursday The Western Star was told the project was the relocation of the skate park now located off Commercial Street and behind the former Canada Post building.

Related stories:

City of Corner Brook, contractor won’t confirm plan for former softball pitch on Wellington Street

The proponent is Greg Penny, who owns the former post office that now houses a series of health and wellness-related businesses. Penney said he is paying the cost to relocate the skate park out of his own pocket in order to free up much-needed parking space at his busy building.

Penney said he had worked out a deal with the City of Corner Brook and was given approval to start the job. He also said the municipally owned site of the old ball field was suggested to him by the city.

“I think it’s a great location right next to the junior high school,” said Penney. “It’s a win-win situation.”

Penney said the plan was to move the infrastructure at the current skate park to the new location and any improvements or new additions would be up to the city.

The City of Corner Brook, though, says the project was not yet approved. Coun. Josh Carey said the issue was certainly discussed by the former city council, but it had never been formally approved at a council meeting.

Coun. Vaughn Granter, one of three new faces elected to council (along with  Mayor Jim Parsons and Deputy Mayor Bill Griffin), said he is not aware of any discussions about the project by the new council.

In an emailed statement from Bonita Decaire, the city’s information officer, the city said there will be no further work done at the site until the contractor submits detailed plans for review by city staff and subsequent consideration by council.

When reached for further comment after the city issued its statement, Penney reiterated he had approval to start the work, but said he has no problem putting it on hold until any outstanding issues are cleared up.

Latest News