Teen providing free shovelling service to seniors in Stephenville

Frank
Frank Gale

Julien Guignard shovels off the step of the residence of a senior couple in a free service he is providing this winter.

Inspired by something he read on Facebook, Julien Guignard is offering a free shovelling service to seniors in Stephenville.

Guignard said he read how times are tough for some seniors and that it gets expensive for them to get steps and walkways shovelled, if they are able to get someone to do it at all.

The 16-year-old decided he was going to provide that service free of charge when he’s available to do it after school hours, and got his mom Patti Guignard to do up some small posters and put them out around at different locations.

In the meantime, he and his mom have been driving around Stephenville and looking for people who need help. They’ve done a few places, including some shovelling of the step and porch area at the Animal Shelter in Stephenville, a couple of places at the seniors complex located on New Mexico Drive and at an elderly ladies house on their own street, St. Clare Avenue.

Since putting out the posters, they’ve even received several calls from Alberta, with sons and daughters asking them to look out for their mom’s property.

“It’s a big worry for people who are away and have parents here but no other family,” Patti said.

She hopes more people will call and take advantage of the free service Julien is providing, that she helps him out with.

She thinks it’s a great thing he’s doing and they plan to do it all winter.

“I like to try and help out in the community where I can,” Julien said.

Recently he and a few friends stayed up playing video games for 25 hours and in the process raised more than $500 for the Janeway Children’s Hospital. He is also active in basketball and hockey.

Tom and Helen Hull, a senior couple who live next door to Guignard, said they really appreciate Julien coming and shovelling them out.

“It’s a great service; it’s perfect,” Tom said.

Geographic location: Stephenville, Clare Avenue, Alberta Janeway Children

Comments

Comments

• Catherine Cummins
    January 11, 2014 - 14:31

To Julien and his Mom, we just discovered Newfoundland this summer (we live in Ontario), and it the people with community spirit like yourselves that made your province the most special place we've ever been! Thank you for caring.

• Yvonne
    December 29, 2013 - 12:37

I am a senior in Badger, and I appreciate what you are doing for the seniors in Stephenville, thanks

• Kathy
    December 29, 2013 - 10:25

I also think this is wonderful. I have posted on facebook looking for someone to help my 89 year old dad ....I will contact him for sure, and believe he should be paid for his efforts as well....

• Cathy
    December 28, 2013 - 17:52

You should be so proud of yourself and your patents should be so proud of you...young man you ate an example for all teenagers out there. Kudos to your patents for instilling good values in you...

• dale keating
    December 28, 2013 - 11:53

That is so cool. God bless you, little one. You have a big heart.

• JIM CONRAN
    December 27, 2013 - 23:39

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL PERSON,I WISH THERE WERE A LOT MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU,THIS WOULD BE A WONDERFUL WORLD .

• Don
    December 27, 2013 - 23:27

Ur on the right path my friend....volunteer work equals rich in life ... Awesome man

• Cheri
    December 27, 2013 - 22:31

Great idea! You are a wonderful person Julien! I hope this inspires more people to do good deeds for others!

• Geraldine
    December 27, 2013 - 20:51

What a fine young man,with a big heart.A lot of seniors need help,lot of them don't have family.We are in a similar situation,my husband can't walk and i have back problems,we are only young,in our fifties.Maybe some other young people will be inspired to do the same,A special merry Christmas from us.God Bless.Edward and Geraldine Mercer,

• MD
    December 27, 2013 - 20:09

I live in Alberta; but would never take advantage of this young man's generosity and ask him to shovel my elderly Mom's property- not without insisting on paying him. Incidentally, I can't imagine why seniors would want to retire in Stephenville if they didn't have to, for- unlike elsewhere in Canada- business's aren't required to shovel store front property. Keep up the good work Julien; you are my kind of hero!

• Elder Calvin White
    December 27, 2013 - 18:52

You are an awesome young man, Julien and you will be rewarded 10 fold for your good deeds.

• Kim
    December 27, 2013 - 16:23

That's really heart warming! Good job!

• Amanda
    December 27, 2013 - 14:54

You're pretty awesome Julien! We did the Extra Life Game A Thon in my house too, it was tough! I hope you never lose that selflessness. It helps to have supportive parents too, sounds like you got yourself a good mamma there :)

• Tony
    December 27, 2013 - 13:43

This is a great story, sure nice to see a young teen do something for the good of someone in need. Reminds me of the things we did as kids living in Stephenville. Most today have a hand out. My aunt 88 years old in Kippens pays $15.00 per cleaning. And she is on a fixed income. Nice to hear when a chap like this has a heart to think of an elderly person. This story made my Christmas. Tony in Winnipeg.

• Philip Caul
    December 27, 2013 - 13:09

The citizen's here in S'ville are far from lazy. I see when the member's offered their time when I lived on base. In other word's,never fear, if you need help,you Newfie friend, will always help you,okay!!!! Philip...

• Michael
    December 27, 2013 - 12:38

Always nice to hear about great people doing great things. This is such a selfless act- a true community hero!!!!!!

• brenda
    December 27, 2013 - 11:53

This is a great to hear , in a world where everything has gone to nothing hands on and face to face , it is wonderful to know that there is still some kids in the next generation that don't mind helping out . Well done Julien

• Dianna
    December 27, 2013 - 11:50

A great project! True community spirit!

• theresa collier
    December 27, 2013 - 10:36

Julien you are one awesome young man ! Every parent would love to call you their son ! GREAT JOB MOM & DAD.

• Audrey Jesso
    December 27, 2013 - 10:34

It does my heart good to know that there are still some considerate teens out there. There maybe hope for the next generation after all.

• Phil bryant
    December 27, 2013 - 10:32

What a great young man, and a special mom.

• Anne Flynn
    December 27, 2013 - 10:26

Great work young man. With activities like that you would be a good candidate for scholarships when you are close to finishing school. This link is to one of the largest scholarships in Canada and is largely based on community service efforts like yours. Feel free to email me if you want any advise. http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/student-life/scholarship-for-community-leadership/index.jsp. God bless you.

• Alice
    December 27, 2013 - 09:04

Bless your heart, I wish there were more like you...us as seniors lots of time wonder what we are going to do with this snow, and not able to shovel, especially the much older seniors and ones that have heart trouble and other disabilities.....You are an angel.... we use to live in Stephenville but have moved away......I would not let you do it free tho, you would have to take something, but for those who can't afford to pay you or give you something, that is a blessing to them for sure...God Love you and keep up the wonderful service.....

• Henry
    December 27, 2013 - 08:54

Good on you Juliene. Very thoughtful lad. Your parents should be proud.

• shar
    December 27, 2013 - 08:50

Wow.. this young man will go far and his Mom must be so proud. So many kids his age don't move off the couch to even help their own parents. Good Job Young Man.