© Submitted photo by RCMP
The remains of the house in Mainland
Due to a smoke detector alert, three people including a husband, wife, 15-year-old son and a small dog, managed to get out of their burning home in the early morning hours of Thursday.
Police were investigating the scene on Thursday of the residence that once housed a restaurant in the small community of Mainland on the Port au Port Peninsula.
A report of a fire was received by the Bay St. George RCMP at 2:13 a.m. to which the Lourdes fire department responded.
Mayor Henry Gaudon of Lourdes, who is a member of that fire department, said the first member of the department to arrive on the scene within minutes from nearby Three Rock Cove, told them the fire was well underway when he arrived.
Gaudon said when the seven firefighters arrived from Lourdes, which he estimates was within 20 minutes, the best they could do was use their water to cool down nearby homes to prevent from catching until the fire had burned that much there was only rubble left.
He said it was his understanding the family and dog were escape the fire through a window. Adding to the problem when they arrived was a live electrical line, which was still sparking; however, that burned through a short time later enabling the firefighters to spray the neaby buildings.
The house, with an estimated value of $300,000, was a total loss but police said insurance was carried.
Due to a smoke detector alert, three people including a husband, wife, son and family pet, managed to get out of their burning home in the early morning hours today.
Police are holding the scene for an investigation into a fire that destroyed a home in Mainland on the Port au Port Peninsula.
A report of a fire was received by the Bay St. George RCMP at 2:13 a.m. to which the Lourdes fire department responded, but the house with an estimated value of $300,000 was a total loss.
A fire scene examiner is expected to be conducting an investigation today, once the scene permits. Police said insurance was carried on the house.