Cardigan Conservative candidate Wayne Phelan’s Montague campaign office has been damaged by an accidental fire.
In a Facebook post, Phelan said no one was hurt in the fire, which damaged the office at 518 Main St.
Montague Volunteer Fire Department chief Tom MacLeod said fire department personnel responded to the fire at 4:21 a.m. with more than 22 firemen. The fire damage was all confined to outside of the building, although two plate glass windows were damaged.
"It started on the outside and all of the damage was outside," MacLeod said.
"It spread pretty fast up the front."
The fire began in an empty wooden planter outside the office, MacLeod said.
A representative of the Department of Justice and Public Safety said the fire had been ruled accidental and was linked to discarded smoking materials.
In an e-mailed statement, Phelan said he and his campaign staff will still be reachable at a second office in Stratford.
“It is heartbreaking to see the damage that has occurred, but I won’t let it deter my campaign,” Phelan said.
“I am just grateful that none of our tremendous volunteers were hurt.”
Office staff are in the process of moving to a new location at 12 MacDonald Road. The phones will be up and running later today and anyone who had appointments at the office is asked to call 902-218-7522.