Top News

Corner Brook man has pleas entered by court

Randy Biggin is shown in this file photo.
Randy Biggin is shown in this file photo. - Star file photo

Randy Biggin was told in August that if he didn’t have legal representation by his next court appearance not guilty pleas would be entered on his behalf in order to advance his matters.

Judge Catherine Allen-Westby did just that when the Corner Brook man appeared before her in provincial court here on Tuesday morning.

Biggin, 25, is charged with holding up the former Ultramar gas station on Mount Bernard Avenue on April 28.

Related stories:

Randy Biggin, accused of armed robbery at Corner Brook gas station, released from custody

He is alleged to have entered the store with his face masked and armed with a knife and to have stolen cash before taking off on foot.

He was arrested a short time after and charged with armed robbery, having his face masked with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of a weapon for the purpose of committing an offence.

Biggin is also charged with break and enter into Targett Trucking in Massey Drive on April 14.

While that offence allegedly occurred before the alleged offences at the Ultramar, the charge was not sworn before the court until May 18.

A charge of theft under $5,000 from the trucking company was withdrawn on Tuesday.

Biggin had previously told the court that he was appealing the rejection of his application to be represented by legal aid.

With the not guilty pleas entered, Biggin elected to be tried on the charges in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador by judge alone with a preliminary inquiry.

The preliminary inquiry was set for Dec. 10.

Recent Stories