Top News

Man charged in Corner Brook home invasion to take quest for counsel to next level

Andre Lecuyer
Andre Lecuyer - SaltWire File Photo

Andre Lecuyer has been twice denied representation by Legal Aid NL, but he’s taking his case to the next level.
Lecuyer, 38, is scheduled to go on trial in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador in Corner Brook next May on charges stemming from a January 2014 home invasion in the city.
He appeared in Supreme Court by phone Sept. 20, as he has done during most of his recent appearances, and informed the court he was still without a lawyer.
During Lecuyer’s Aug. 26 appearance, the court was told his appeal of the legal aid decision to deny him counsel would be heard that day.
He told the court that appeal had been denied and he was informed he could further appeal that decision to the legal aid appeal board.
He said he had just received the application to fill out and would be returning it within a week. He would then have to wait to hear from the board on when it would hear his application.
Justice George Murphy requested Lecuyer continue to provide status updates to the court prior to his next appearance.
Lecuyer is charged with unlawful confinement, armed robbery, having his face masked with the intent to commit an indictable offence and break and enter.
Murphy told Lecuyer it was in his best interest to retain counsel very soon, and set the matter over to Nov. 18. 

Recent Stories