Left to right: Destiny Hillier and Oliver Smith talk to Alison White about the new St. George’s Community Garden during its opening day on July 22. SUBMITTED PHOTO BY MINAL HODDINOTT
Kristen Hamel, right, talks to Marley Blanchard about a plant in a raised bed at the new St. George’s Community Garden that officially opened on July 22. SUBMITTED PHOTO BY MINAL HODDINOTT
With the help of some corporate sponsors and the municipality a new St. George’s Community Garden was officially opened on July 22 with about 50 people in attendance.
In addition to carrying out some planting a barbecue was held at the social event.
About the new community garden:
- Four elder and four youth raised beds.
- More plots to be created as needed.
- This year’s crops planted included: tomatoes, leeks, lettuce, onions and an arrangement of herbs.
- The garden is located behind the post office in St. George’s.
- A committee of five oversee the garden.
- About 15 volunteers helped get it off the ground.