Top News

Woman charged in Bonavista break and enters released on time served

CLARENVILLE, NL—A Bonavista woman who pleaded guilty to a rash of break and enters in the town this past summer has been released on time served.

Mona Rumbolt pleaded guilty to committing four break and enters in the Bonavista area in the space of four days.

According to the agreed statements of facts, she used pieces of concrete or brinks to smash windows to gain entry to three Bonavista businesses and the Bonavista Salvation Army.

Bonavista RCMP were called to the scene at Rock Racing and Auto in the early morning of June 29 following a complaint. First Stop Auto was also broken into that same morning, and approximately $100 was stolen from both businesses.

According to the statment of facts, upon arrest Rumbolt told police she had been doing drugs and confessed to the break and enters but was not sure how much money she had stolen.

In the early morning of July 2, Bonavista RCMP were called to the Bonavista Salvation Army, where a break in had occurred. En route they received a call that a female had fled the scene, but then received another complaint of a second apparent break and enter at a neighboring business, Durdle’s Home Hardware, where the accused was said to be still inside.

Rumbolt was then arrested again and transported to Bonavista RCMP detachment, where police found approximately $50 in cash and a package of stolen Girl Guide cookies in her possession.

She also pleaded guilty to stealing lottery tickets from a Bonavista convenience store on June 22, just a week before the committing the four break and enters.

Rumbolt also faced several breaches of recognizance including failure to report to the Bonavista RCMP detachment at the required time and not meeting curfew, although many of these charges were conditionally withdrawn.

Following an October breach, Rumbolt was again taken into police custody.

Rumbolt had spent 107 days in custody which, at one and a half days, comes to a total of 161 days of remand credit.

Up until the time of the break and enters, Rumbolt said she had been clean from illicit drugs for 15 years.

In sentencing Rumbolt, Judge Harold Porter considered her lack of a criminal record, battles with mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder and depression, degree of cooperation with police, drug addiction, steps taken to improve herself while incarcerated (including working towards her high school diploma and attending counselling sessions) and remorse.

“What strikes me here is that Ms. Rumbolt has insight into her mental health issues and her substance abuse issues, and she has so much insight that she understands that she needs to address these things and is willing to, and in fact has already taken some steps.”

Judge Porter noted if not for that, Rumbolt could have been sentenced to six months for each break and enter and sentenced for the other offenses.

Rumbolt will have to pay a mandatory victim surcharge of $100 for each offense, totaling $700, and is subject to a DNA order.

Rumbolt will also face probation conditions to which she is bound for the next year, including a prohibition from alcohol and illicit substances, as well as a prohibition from the three businesses where the break and enters occurred. An exception was made for the Salvation Army building as it is a religious organization.

“Salvation Army, I suspect, would not want her prohibited from going there [to the church],” said Judge Porter.

Rumbolt noted she used to be a member at that very church and had given thought to returning.

Rumbolt was visibly grateful towards the judge and sobbed openly as she thanked him for the sentence.

Recent Stories