Williams enjoying life without politics

Jeremy P. Smith

Glenn Sheppard, left, talks to Danny Williams in Corner Brook Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 at Colemans on O’Connell Drive.

CORNER BROOK — Danny Williams says he does not miss the limelight of politics.

“I still stay informed, and I read everything I can,” he said. “I no longer have that responsibility and that’s a tremendous weight off the shoulders, but I do miss it. I miss the people. I miss the team that I worked with ... but I don’t miss the political nonsense.”

Williams was in Corner Brook Monday to help PC candidate Vaughn Granter campaign for today’s provincial byelection.

It was his first time talking to media since his retirement in December.

“My attention was to make a clear break between myself and the new premier and the new government coming in,” said Williams. “I didn’t want them to be under my shadow.”

Williams recently returned from a trip to London, England and has also spent time at his home in Florida. He returned to the province Saturday night specifically for the Humber West byelection.

He says his life is different since his retirement.

“Before the job was a 24-hour, 24-7 total consumption for me,” said Williams. “Even lying in bed in the nighttime you’d be constantly thinking about the issues involving (it).”

Williams said he came into politics with the idea of staying in it for eight years. His reign lasted as Tory leader for 10. That was long enough.

His plan for the future includes more travel.

“I won’t be able to travel all the time,” he said. “I’m not a person who can stay idle and just relax all the time. I need to be active.”

Williams said he keeps his hand in some business interests and will continue to pursue volunteer projects as well as public speaking, which he says he has a lot of requests to do.

“I’ll be very selective in some of the things that I’m doing,” he said.

Williams also said he does not intend to practise law unless a special case comes up.

As for trying to become the prime minister, Williams says he is finished with politics.

“I’ve had a lot of representation,” he said. “I’ve had people approach me from several political parties. But, in this stage of my life, no. I’ve done my thing here.

“My commitment was to Newfoundland and Labrador.”

Organizations: Tory

Geographic location: CORNER BROOK, London, England Florida Humber West Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Brad
    February 15, 2011 - 15:20

Funny how people can stand up and say he was the best but can't name 1 thing he did to make the province better. Anyone can walk in and look good when oil production is at its peak and at its most expensive. Still though no change in out migration, or unemployment. Something doesn't add up. If you think we are a have province then I can see how you were so easily conned by a weasel businessman and ambulance chaser. The man lied for a living.

• Newfie
    February 15, 2011 - 13:27

I believe in Danny Williams, always have and always will. In my opinion, he's the very best Premier that Newfoundland and Labrador has ever had! He's stood up for us where others before him failed. Danny Williams changed our province from a have-not to a HAVE province. To those who disagree or believe he was just there for selfish reasons or was a "whining baby", I'd like to see you take the Premier position and do it better then Danny did and see how well you do at it for 10 years! I hope you enjoy every minute away from the policital scene Danny, Thanks again for everything you did.

• W McLean
      February 15, 2011 - 15:09

Like you, I believe that Danny Williams exists.

• Red
    February 15, 2011 - 12:21

We are enjoying life without Danny in politics also.

• Brad
    February 15, 2011 - 12:03

His commitment was fulfilling part of his life goals and had nothing to do with NL. When someone comes in with a deadline for themselves in politics you know who it is about. Williams was a whining baby and proved himself to be a quitter, and when you look back at his political career what exactly did he do? A real leader would see right through butt kissers but Danny surrounded himself with coattail riders who are incapable of doing their jobs. A real leader would surround themselves with a strong, intelligent, competent team, but when you surround yourself with idiots it makes you look all the better. Just go away Danny the photo op is over, and your scrapbook is complete.

• David
    February 15, 2011 - 09:27

And somehow, I'm enjoying life without Danny Williams.

• Kevin Power
    February 15, 2011 - 08:36

Well done Danny. Say it the way that it is. That is why you were such a good Premier. Thank you for your work and your contribution to NL.

• Ches
    February 15, 2011 - 07:21

Done with politics Danny? Sure me son. My eyes must be failing, I could have sworn he was politicing for the tory candidate. Guess he doesn't think that the team he left behind is good enough to do the job, and he's probably right.

• Saturn Lover
    February 15, 2011 - 07:10

I voted for you Danny, but I cannot vote for Granter. I still can't believe he didn't show up at the debate! Just as well I suppose. NO MORE DOUBLE - DIPPERS! I guess Mark will get my vote.