Michael Lewis granted full parole

The Parole Board of Canada has granted Michael Lewis full parole.

Lewis, who is now in his late 20s, had been serving a life sentence for the second degree murder of 13-year-old Samantha Walsh in Fleur-de-Lys in February 2000. Lewis was 16 at the time of Walsh’s murder.

He was released on day parole for six months in December 2011 and that decision was extended for another six months this past June and again in December for three months.

At the hearing on the last extension the board also ordered a panel hearing for full parole to take place before March. That hearing took place on Wednesday.

Conditions of Lewis’s release include that he have no direct or indirect contact with any member of Walsh’s family, immediately report all intimate sexual and non-sexual relationships with females to his parole supervisor and follow psychological counselling that is to be arranged by his parole supervisor.

Organizations: Parole Board of Canada

Comments

Comments

• Peggy
    February 01, 2013 - 08:07

My heart is breaking for Mrs. Millie Walsh, even more since the passing of her husband, George, and also for Samantha's brother, Sandy. The release of Lewis so soon is absolutely unbelievable and unacceptable. He is young and now has his whole life of freedom ahead of him. What about Samantha's future? My God, didn't the Parole Board even consider his actions when the search was underway for three weeks for Sam? He JOINED IN with the RCMP and all the grieving, heartbroken people of Fleur-de-Lys and surrounding areas. That in itself is proof that this man is heartless. Mrs. Walsh and family, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot even comprehend what you must be going through.

• Jalyssa
    January 26, 2013 - 20:31

Wow I really can't believe this! This makes me sick to my stomach to have a murderer roaming the small peaceful streets of Newfoundland! All I can say is that I pray for the Walsh family and hope that they find peace! Samantha didn't get a chance to experience life and this animal do? No that's just not right! This animal should be locked up for the rest of his life? 13 years is a slap on the wrist! And who's to say he won't snap and do something like this again?!

• CORRUPT JUSTICE SYSTEM
    January 26, 2013 - 10:34

don't blame the accuse newfies, blame the hug-a-thug liberals for it. the problem lies with that phoney as a three dollar bill document called: THE CHARTER OF RIGHTS & FREEDOMS. past liberal governments watered down crime bills in committees, they make it easy for the criminals and not the victims, judges in our kangeroo courts and mickey mouse justice system have no power, and besides its about money. so keep on voting for those liberal hug-a-thug MP'S .

• Devil's Advocate
      January 31, 2013 - 10:40

You sir are a bigger threat to so called society than this animal, in my eyes. Hands off my rights and freedoms, I didn't do anything, so I will not give up my liberties because there is a couple mentally unstable people out of millions. The Charter is what scores died in 2 world wars to protect...and you spit on it.

• Shirley Lane-Brinson
    January 26, 2013 - 09:33

I just CANNOT believe this !! Full parole!!! What is the problem with our Justice system ??? Life sentence ??? What a joke ?? Does Samantha get to spend her life as a young lady among us ?? Geez >>I just can't believe this !!! A brutal murderer allowed to enjoy the freedom of our country ?? What will it take for people to wake up ???? What's the excuse when this idiot does something again ??? Too late then..We should all stand behind Samantha's mom and attempt to change the Justice system..Whatever happened to Justice ???? Totally fed up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disgusted
    January 25, 2013 - 23:12

Wow...once again our criminal justice system lets down the public. Seems that victims who are children or young adults get shafted by the system all the time. There have been so many wrong decisions made...how can anyone have faith in the justice system anymore?? Thoughts and prayers with Samantha's family. Hope they have lots of support from family and friends now when they need it so much, yet again.

• Mike
    January 25, 2013 - 20:35

If there was a poll taken, I seriously doubt you would find very many people who believe the criminal justice system works anywhere anymore. This story is proof why people feel this way. Only within the justice system in North America are convicted murderers, of children who rebuffed their sexual advances none the less, allowed to walk free amongst good, law-abiding people.

• ryan
    January 25, 2013 - 16:35

this animal is let go..he only served just a short time what about samantha where is her justice such a shame