One person taken to hospital in apartment building blaze

Frank
Frank Gale
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The intense heat from a fire late Friday, Jan. 25, 2013 at an apartment building at Upper Georgia Drive in Stephenville caused extensive damage, as seen in the rear section of the structure.

STEPHENVILLLE — A fire late Friday displaced nine tenants including

two children from one section of an apartment building in Stephenville.

The blaze was reported around 9 p.m. on Friday in a building on Upper Georgia Drive.

Fire Chief Wayne Reilly of the Stephenville Fire Department said it was a tough fire to fight and praised the firefighters and the support of Marine Institute’s Safety and Emergency Fire Training Centre.

He said a male was taken to hospital, but didn’t know the extent of his injuries. A firefighter also received an injury when he slipped on some ice while fighting the fire.

Reilly said there were times the fire was so intense firefighters feared they may lose the entire building, but he said fortunately firefighters managed to contain the fire to a single apartment unit.

Police involved in the investigation were not available on Sunday for comment.

Along with the apartment that was extensively damaged three others received smoke or water damage.

Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross are assisting six adults and two children with emergency accommodations and the purchasing of clothing and food.

The Red Cross also provided personal-care kits and blankets, plus teddy bears to comfort the children.

A ninth tenant whose apartment was damaged went to stay with friends and didn’t require any immediate aid from the Canadian Red Cross.

 

 

Organizations: Stephenville Fire Department, Red Cross, Marine Institute

Geographic location: Stephenville.The, Upper Georgia Drive

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Jack
    January 28, 2013 - 09:13

    Due to a string of major fires occurring in the Stephenville, Springdale, and other important centres across Newfoundland and Labrador, now is the time for government to start imposing tougher fire control laws including mandatory sprinkler and smoke detector systems, mandatory circuit interrupters for electrical systems, and other fire prevention systems so that these fires which could result in higher insurance premiums due to reconstruction costs will never happen again.

    • Talking Smoke
      January 28, 2013 - 12:41

      And in addition to items mantioned above, landlords should be made responsible and made it mandatory to bring all rental units upto fire codes, electrical codes, building codes, etc. and including fire escapes for all units instead of some which have only 1 door to the rental units and windows which are too small to use as an escape route........