Corner Brook Mayor Neville Greeley not seeking re-election

Dave Kearsey

Corner Brook Mayor Neville Greeley. — Photo by Diane Crocker/The Western Star

CORNER BROOK — Mayor Neville Greeley is going to try his hand at carpentry now that he’s decided to end his political career.

Greeley, who took over as mayor of Corner Brook in 2009, announced via Twitter Sunday he won’t be seeking re-election when voters go to the polls in the municipal election Sept. 24.

“I’ve been hired down Bonne Bay Pond to build a garage,” Greeley said Sunday of his focus now that he won’t be running the city. “I have a cabin on Bonne Bay Pond where I hope to spend a lot of time, and when I’m not down here, I hope to spend a bit of time travelling, visiting my children out of province and visiting some friends I’ve made across the country over the years.”

The mayor said he spent a couple of months pondering his future in municipal politics. He talked about his future plans with his wife and children, and it became quite clear he had the support of his family.

He also noted that he didn’t want to make any announcement while the City of Corner Brook was involved in contract talks with its workers, but the two sides reached a tenative agreement Friday so he felt it was time to let the voters know his intentions.

“We’re all on the same page,” he said. “While I really enjoyed the position of mayor and enjoyed working with the staff and other councillors, and with the people of Corner Brook, I just figured I’ve given as much as I have to give at this point and it’s time for me to take a break.”

Greeley’s announcement now leaves Coun. Donna Francis as the only declared candidate for the mayor’s chair.

Geographic location: CORNER BROOK

Comments

Comments

• sherry maxwell
    August 27, 2013 - 19:31

While I have never had the pleasure of meeting you I would like to say THANK YOU for devoting your time as councillor and Mayor of the City of Corner Brook AND for your service with the RNC in keeping the citizens of this Tidy Town safe. It takes a lot of guts to offer yourself up for service and as we all know you can't please everyone! All the best in the future!

• Glenda Park
    August 27, 2013 - 17:30

Mr. Greeley, you have done a great job. Some people is too ignorant, ignore them. You have done a wonderful job, now it's your time to enjoy your life. Thank you for everything you have done for all of us. Wish you the best of luck.

• unbelievable
    August 26, 2013 - 16:11

Clearly the people who have posted here have never heard the expression "If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all." Pathetic bunch....

• Robert
    August 26, 2013 - 09:25

Neville, As they say you can't please all the people all the time and of course you know that well. I personally think you did an upstanding job and attacked all the difficult decisions as I knew you would. Politics certainly is not a place to make friends or influence people and after one term anywhere it is time to get out and spend the rest of ones life trying to get over the shock. Bravo Neville.. You did well no matter what they say, Upper Island Cove and lots of people in Bishop's Cove think you did great. All the best in your future.

• Petertwo
    August 26, 2013 - 06:26

Reading the comments posted on the upcoming municipal elections in Corner Brook it will be a brave soul, maybe, who steps up for the mayors position. Is all that flack and aggravation really worthwhile, or any good for anyone, it must play havoc with a person's mental health? Public service....you have to be kidding!

• Time For A Change
    August 25, 2013 - 22:04

Smartest thing Mr. Greeley has done in the last four years. Can't say I am sad to see him go. As for Donna Francis, it is highly unlikely that she will not be or next Mayor, word is we will see another much more qualified candidate for the Mayor's chair very soon.

• The Guest
    August 25, 2013 - 21:37

Not that I am a Nev fan by any means but like Nev or not he did a job that very few people are stepping up for... Can anyone recall a mayor that they liked? Sure was not Charlie Pender.

• LCB
    August 25, 2013 - 20:55

A lot of people are glad to hear this I'm sure!!! I'm sure someone else is going to run for major and just hasn't announced yet and who ever this person is will be elected candidate over Donna Francis. We need to get all current council out. We need a fresh group of people!

• Gary Chaulk
    August 25, 2013 - 20:51

I wonder if Mayor Greeley's decision has more to do with his fear of not being relected than the excuses he is using. Glad to see you go.

• duke
    August 25, 2013 - 20:00

He knew he wasn` t going to get reelected so he quit.

• CB Citizen
    August 25, 2013 - 18:50

Well I would surmise Mr. Greeley is aware he would be fighting a losing battle if he ran for mayor. Honestly, this is the best news I have heard in a long time. I hope the carpentry works out better for him than his political career has.

• Paul
    August 25, 2013 - 18:50

Come on Corner Brook rise to the challenge. We need some one to compete against Donna Francis, she should never get a free ride especially in this position.... not enough time in politics for experience required.... Sorry Donna Francis nothing personal. You haven't paid yo ur dues or demonstrated any leadership over last four years.

• Henry
    August 25, 2013 - 18:35

Good by Mr Greely. You made the right choice. Go out with some dignity or be voted out. I can't say you will be missed......

• skeptical
    August 25, 2013 - 18:15

What about if the tentative agreement doesn't get passed by the membership Nev?? Why did you go to Vancouver for the FCM just a short time ago if you were contemplating not running again? Good waste of tax payers dollars once again, hope you had fun travelling around unnecessarily on our backs. I'd say he sees the writing on the wall, he didn't have a snowballs chance in hell to get re-elected. Bon voyage Nev, this is one taxpayer who won't miss you in the Mayor's chair!