$452,000 in funding announced for Bay of Islands projects

TC
TC Media
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Latest News

ST. JOHN'S — The towns of Cox's Cove, Meadows and Mount Moriah are about to see some improvements in water and sewer, recreation, roads and five services.

The provincial government announced a total of $452,000 in funding for the three Bay of Islands towns on Friday.

Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Steve Kent said the $452,000 investment demonstrates government's ongoing commitment to rural Newfoundland and Labrador.

“We are committed to the development of infrastructure which supports and strengthens communities and enables them to meet the needs of families,” he said.

Funding for these projects is cost-shared, with the provincial government providing 90 per cent of the funding and the towns covering the remaining 10 per cent.

 In Cox’s Cove $32,000 is being invested to conduct repairs on the BioGreen Wastewater Plant. Meadows will receive $200,000 to start construction on a new recreation facility, playground and ball field. Mount Moriah is receiving $70,000 for program and design work as part of the construction of a new fire response services building, along with an additional $150,000 for street improvement work.

Geographic location: Bay of Islands, Mount Moriah, ST. JOHN'S Newfoundland and Labrador

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Jackie Barrett - Bay of Islands Area Resident
    October 26, 2013 - 08:00

    As a Gillams area resident, I'm more than appalled at the Newfoundland and Labrador Government for not providing funding to the Town of Gillams for much needed road repairs. Some major roads in Gillams, mainly Farm Road, are littered with ruts and huge potholes that are next to impossible to avoid. The road is in such bad shape that you see cracks on the road almost like an earthquake just happened, potholes are everywhere and hard to dodge, and yet, Gillams Town Council and the Newfoundland and Labrador Government don't seem to care. The sooner Farm Road is fixed, the safer Gillams will be.