Interior of Pasadena senior’s home extensively damaged by fire

Diane
Diane Crocker
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

There was a fire inside this house at 31 Fourth Avenue in Pasadena Sunday evening.

CORNER BROOK  A Pasadena senior had to leave his home Sunday evening after a fire caused extensive damage to the inside lower section of the building.

Pasadena Fire and Rescue chief Wally Spontaneo said his department received the fire call for 31 Fourth Ave. at 5:29 p.m.

By 5:32 p.m. 27 firefighters were on the scene.

“When we got at the scene and got to the back of the building, he was coming out of the basement,” said Spontaneo of the 84-year-old home owner.

Spontaneo said the man kept saying he was looking for his dog and went to the back door to try and re-enter the house. Firefighters prevented him from doing so and then entered the building and were able to find the dog and bring it out safely.

Once inside, Spontaneo said “we knocked it down pretty quickly.” He said “the fire was contained in the basement on the north side of the building.”

With the fire under control, Spontaneo said his members focused on cleanup and getting the smoke out of the house so that they could make sure the fire hadn’t spread.

“We weren’t sure if the fire was contained in the walls or not.”

So he said firefighters had to take out some walls in the upstairs kitchen area.

Spontaneo said firefighters left the scene at 7:05 p.m. He said power to the home was turned off, but water was left running to ensure the pipes didn’t freeze.

“It’s very unfortunate,” said Spontaneo. “He’s a senior, he’s very well known here in the town ... known visually. He’s always out walking his dog.”

Spontaneo had no information about how the fire started.

And while the investigation is ongoing the Deer Lake Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said it was not suspicious in nature.

“The origin of the fire appeared to be in the basement,” said Cpl. Eric Humber.   

He noted the man have been having renovations done in that area of the home and while the cause has yet to be determined, it is believed to be electrical.

Humber said investigators would be continuing to investigate.

As for the resident, the man was taken by ambulance to Western Memorial Regional Hospital to be checked for smoke and carbon dioxide inhalation.

Neither police or the fire department had any information about whether or not the man was able to return to his home on Monday.

Organizations: Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Western Memorial Regional Hospital

Geographic location: Pasadena

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Helen Smith
    December 02, 2013 - 15:56

    So sorry for the gentleman, but hats off to the Pasadena Fire Dept. What an absolutely wonderful group!!!!