Qalipu staff searching Federation of Newfoundland Indians lists for applicants

Diane
Diane Crocker

Brendan Sheppard

CORNER BROOK  Applicants to the Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation Band looking to meet the requirement of self-identification can find help in doing so from the band itself.

On Monday Chief Brendan Sheppard issued a message on the band’s website informing applicants that the band will search Federation of Newfoundland Indians (FNI) files to assist them in finding the information they need to show they were members of a Mi’kmaq group of Newfoundland Indians.

On Tuesday, Sheppard said two individuals started that task on Monday.

He said the idea behind the move is just to make sure that people are given the opportunity to check the membership list the Federation of Newfoundland Indians would have maintained.

“Wherever there’s a way to assist people, Qalipu will do its utmost to do that without going through any extreme and putting ourself in a position where we’re gonna be stating something about individuals that we really can’t back up information wise,” said Sheppard.

He said the purpose of the federation, of which he was president, was to represent the people on the island of Newfoundland.

“Under the Federation of Newfoundland Indians there was a structure where there was nine band councils throughout the province. Each of these band councils was responsible for maintaining their membership lists.”

And once a year the bands provided updated membership lists to the federation.

Sheppard said the researchers will go back as far as they can using the lists provided to the federation.

He said the numbers are not high for a lot of the years as the numbers moved slowly from between 3,000 and 3,800 in the 1970s to 10,000 in 2007.

Anyone who was a member of one of the federation’s local bands or the federation’s general membership list prior to 2008 can call 709-634-0996, extension numbers, 209 or 214, or email fni-info@qalipu.ca, to have a search conducted. If a person’s name appear on either of the lists a letter can be provided.

Message from Chief Brendan Sheppard

As posted on www.qalipu.ca on Dec. 9, 2013

First of all, I extend a sincere thank you to so many people who have called/ emailed to say thank you for my message that contained a number of scenarios.  I am very pleased that the scenarios have helped some people to clarify the letter they have received from Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development (AANDC).

Unfortunately, there are many who are not certain of what they should provide and I realize that the scenarios do not take away the stress of how you will meet the requirements.

It has come to my attention that there are people who were members of the Federation of Newfoundland Indians (member of one of the FNI local affiliate bands) prior to 2008 who thought they were still on the 2008 membership list and have discovered for some reason they are not on the list when they call for verification at the 1-800-567-9604.

This piece of information is extremely important for individuals that need to meet the requirement of Self Identification and or substantial connection.

For that reason Qalipu have hired two individuals until January 31, 2014 to search old FNI membership lists.

Individuals who were a member of one of the FNI local bands or FNI General membership list prior to 2008 can call 709-634-0996, Extension Numbers, 209 or 214 or email fni-info@qalipu.ca to have a search conducted.  If your name appears on either of the lists a letter can be provided.

However; letters will only be given out if we have a band list that can be referenced containing your name.  I cannot promise that we have all of the lists from all of the FNI local bands since the organization began.

Letters issued after June 23, 2008 from a local band council will not be accepted.

It is important to note that not everyone will require a letter verifying their membership. Please review the scenarios of my previous message to determine if you need to meet self-identification and or substantial connection prior to requesting a search.

Organizations: Federation of Newfoundland, FNI

Geographic location: Island of Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

• herbert penney-flynn
    December 24, 2013 - 16:27

I am not sure where of if my name is on the Member ship list. I know my sister, Susan Wheaten is on the list. I have previously provided all the information necessary for the initial registation and feel that I am a qualified member of the Newfoundland Indian group. However, I do have to respond to that new recent letter, and am not sure what I should put on it. Can you please advise me regarding this?

• j
    December 16, 2013 - 13:17

Has anyone had any success in getting through to the number provided or had any response from the email address provided? I have called numerous times and left messages and emails. No response.

• Suzanne Sheppard
      December 18, 2013 - 12:31

Both of my sons got replies and the person replying said it will take several weeks to determine it they are on the list.

• Jervis Leroy Connolly
    December 14, 2013 - 16:58

The email address appears to be incorrect. I was trying to send an email to have a search done on FNI records for my name.

• corenazwicker
    December 11, 2013 - 19:10

I was registered in the KTAQAMKUK MI'KMAQ ALLIANCE band number 034547 Chief- Bert Alexander. and is wondering if I am on the list prior to 2008.

• Henry
    December 11, 2013 - 16:07

Gary. As far as I understand it you have already self identified and have already showed your acceptance in the community if you have a registration. I don't believe any further information is required. I would also caution everyone about placing personal information on this these sites.

• Garry Bennett
    December 11, 2013 - 15:42

To whom it may concern: My name is Garry Francis Bennett and i'm wondering if i have to give more information about myself. Here is my band registration number 0340248401 and my date of birth 1962/04/29, my registry group 034-QALIPU MI' KMAQ FIRST NATION , and Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, and it is a Certificate of Indian Status that's what on my card, I hope that this is useful to us. Please let me know asap if you need more information. Thank you for your time and God bless.

• Gerrie Holtom
      December 11, 2013 - 23:34

I am Garry's sister in Alberta and our registration was a family registration. What else must we do now? Thank you for any answers that can be provided.

• DONALD R YOUNG
    December 11, 2013 - 12:17

my st georges member no 503 signed by viola benoit dawson dec 31 2005 0342240301

• betrayl
    December 11, 2013 - 09:50

See you in court Mr. Sheppard.

• marie sheppard higgins
    December 10, 2013 - 22:02

all of first have gotten their status.i have my letter that require more information

• Patricia Alexander
    December 10, 2013 - 21:19

Thankyou for the information, it is very helpful, I am so confused on what to do from hear. Being into the band under Bert Alexander does this count as well, is there anyone I can call or go see to get some help me with this, I will pay for the help, it is well worth it. You must be drove crazy, I envoy you, you done and still a good job. Merry Christmas. My father worked for the Gypsum Plant in Flat Bay for years, they also lived there.

• OurPeopleUnited
    December 10, 2013 - 20:20

Brendan Sheppard should be ashamed of himself. I was told from youth by the government and media that aboriginals were drunkards and lazy savages. Can you tell me exactly what my motivation would've been to self-identify? We were told for so many years that being an aboriginal was a bad thing, and because there is little or no work in our area, some people had to leave just to make a living. Mr. Sheppard bowed to the government once again, turning an already weak deal into a joke. Exactly what number will satisfy the federal government, Mr. Sheppard? How many more of your people are you ready to forsake in order to appease your masters? Think of what you are doing, man. Where ever in the world we are, we are all Mi'Kmaq. We are ALL Qalipu!

• Elizabeth (Barriault) Rowsell
      December 11, 2013 - 00:26

If and because our parents were ashamed and ridiculed because of our heritage because of the government at the time why should we have to deny or pay for it It is because of the government and the Harper government in the first place 58828398 85

• Paul
    December 10, 2013 - 20:04

Chief Sheppard. You sly fox. You know that the vast majority of applicants aren't on those lists. For most this will be a exercise in vain. Stop playing band politics. My sister currently has a band registration card. What about her brother, I can't self identify given the new supplemental agreement I just don't fit. We yave the same ancestors. I am just as Mi'kmaq as she. The only difference is I applied after the September 2011 recognition date. Where is the fairness in this. I want an answer!!!!!!!!!

• CBGirl
    December 10, 2013 - 19:23

Good job. As for Corina and Bernadette, please re read the article focussing directly on the phone number provided? Someone really should remove her address from her comment.

• newf
    December 10, 2013 - 17:17

yes this is a farce and the chief is a joke to be getting on with this bs he knows 90 percent cant possibly come up with these documents. so he is just as bad as the federal gov...

• corenazwicker
    December 10, 2013 - 17:09

I would be registered as Mary Corina.

• corenazwicker
    December 10, 2013 - 16:59

would like to check if I am on the list.

• Reg White
    December 10, 2013 - 16:07

I just recently found out that I'm a third generation Mi' kmaq. I have sent in all the information that I can find with my application. What the government is asking of me now is impossible to get because I never knew until last year that I was Mi' kmaq. So, I leave it up to you to either reject or accept my application. Thank you.