RNC says processing of evidence in O’Flaherty death delayed

Gary
Gary Kean
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

In this file photo, RNC forensic investigators carry materials from the Main Street apartment where David (Dick) O'Flaherty was found dead in Corner Brook on Monday, June 3.

CORNER BROOK  It will likely be the new year before any further progress will be made in the ongoing investigation into the sudden death of David (Dick) O’Flaherty more than six months ago.

Mr. O’Flaherty, 51, was found dead in his Main Street bed-sitting room in the early evening of June 3 and it would be two more days before his body was removed from the premises as the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary conducted the initial stages of its investigation into how he died.

An autopsy by the province’s chief medical examiner did not determine the cause of death. His family and friends told The Western Star that Mr. O’Flaherty had been in an altercation with someone in the days before he was found dead.

The Star asked the RNC for an update on the status of the investigation. On Wednesday, Const. Scott Mosher, the RNC’s media relations officer, said he had spoken with members of the RNC’s Major Crime Unit based in St. John’s, which is handling the investigation.

“I was advised there has been some delay at the forensic laboratory where evidence was sent,” Mosher said. “The RNC is still waiting on those results to determine our next course of action.”

Mosher said he was not told the reason for the delay with the forensic laboratory, but said it was likely due to a backlog of cases.

He said there was no timetable set for the investigation, but that it would likely be the new year before the investigation moves into its next phase.

Organizations: The Star

Geographic location: CORNER BROOK, Western Star

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Concerned Citizen
    December 12, 2013 - 06:49

    THAT'S IT ????? THAT'S THE ANSWER WE GET AFTER SIX MONTHS. There is a known killer, or killers, on the streets of Corner Brook and this security provided to taxpayers of this city. I understand work loads and backlogs however I think a better explanation should be given as to why there is still a killer lose on the streets of Corner Brook. If this were a murder in St. Johns more detailed updates would be given at less intervals than 6 months.

  • sonia carew
    December 11, 2013 - 23:19

    omg i cant believe this is happening, his family has been through enough already,i know this is not the only case they are working on ,but in the new year it will be over 7 months ,his family needs closure,this is just unreal.