'Cold Water Cowboys'

Gary
Gary Kean

Three western Newfoundland fishing vessels featured in reality series

CORNER BROOK  On the heels of reality television shows that have followed the everyday lives of loggers and gold miners, a new series about those who toil in the Newfoundland and Labrador fishery is set to hit screens in late february.

The 10-part series, “Cold Water Cowboys,” premieres on Discovery on Feb. 25 and follows six fishing captains and their crews.

Three of those boats are based in western Newfoundland. They include Rick Caines and his son Conway of Cow Head aboard their vessel, the Seadoo; Donald Spence of Port au Choix and his boat, K&N Enterprise; and Todd Young of Woody Point and his crew aboard the Nicole Daniel.

“Cold Water Cowboys” ventures hundreds of kilometres offshore in the North Atlantic, facing swells as high as houses and icebergs the size of small cities, states the promotional website of the show’s producer, Paperny Entertainment.

“A time-honoured industry in the midst of an unprecedented sea of change, these captains are stubborn men who stuck to and survived this calamity by retooling and rebuilding the industry on new catches: crab, shrimp, turbot, herring, and mackerel,” states the website. “It’s a tough job — tough on the boats, tough on gear, tough on the human body — but these bred-in-the-bone fishermen will never trade their boats for boardrooms.”

Organizations: KN Enterprise

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, CORNER BROOK, Cow Head Port au Choix Woody Point Cold Water North Atlantic

Comments

Comments

• paul ledrew
    March 24, 2014 - 20:19

best show on tv

• Séan F Briand
    March 11, 2014 - 18:06

I take affront at the name of your show...they were not "cowboys" ,they were fishermen and they went out on the north atlantic to earn a living for their families and many of them gave their lives in doing so and the name of your show belittles their lives . but what can you expect from a company with NO connection to NFLB

• Jody
    February 21, 2014 - 16:43

Can't wait, I have it scheduled as a reminder so I don't miss it!!!!!! Beer, Cold Water Cowboys doesn't get any better

• Chris Boyd
    January 31, 2014 - 17:17

For more promotional photos feel free to look here: http://blog.chrisboyd.ca/

• brad
    January 31, 2014 - 13:11

Im from st lawrence newfoundland im 31 years old been fishing. for 14 years.look at my facebook videos if ye really wants a hit show ye would want us on the crew . My facebook fussgiov@hotmail.ca

• Don Carter
    January 30, 2014 - 22:11

Will this be shown in the States?

• Linda
    January 30, 2014 - 13:56

Will we be able to get this series in the USA?

• Patricia Wilson
    January 30, 2014 - 13:46

Good Luck I sure it will be a great hit. I can wait to watch. I love watching show about back home.. I miss it so much. Hoping it a hit like Land & Sea.

• Me
    January 29, 2014 - 21:35

For years we joke about the "poor" fisherman, working for a few months to live on EI the rest of the year. Now we will see how hard they work. Then I wonder how many will be willing to trade places. Could the Telegram do something with validation of comments!!!

• Brad
    January 29, 2014 - 13:26

I bet the seas these guys face would make Dangerous Catch look like a children`s picnic.