Gordon Lightfoot cancels Corner Brook performance

TC
TC Media

Gordon Lightfoot performs during the Canadian Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ont., in July 2005. File photo by The Canadian Press

A lack of ticket sales has forced the cancellation of a concert by singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot next month.

Lightfoot’s promoter, Bernie Fieler, told The Western Star that as of Monday morning there were only 179 tickets sold for the event, which was to have taken place April 27 at the Pepsi Centre.

By comparison, Fieler said, Lightfoot’s 2010 show at the same venue sold more than 1,000 tickets.

Lightfoot will still play St. John’s on April 25 and 26, for which the promoter said there are still “a few” tickets left. Fieler added he was sorry fans from the western region will have to travel across the island for the show.

Tickets sold locally will be refunded at the Pepsi Centre box office.

Organizations: Pepsi Centre

Geographic location: Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• George
    March 12, 2014 - 21:00

I cant believe this is cancelled.I LIVE 90 MIN AWAY FROM CB AND MY WIFE AND I HAD TICKETS. PEPSI CENTER PROMOTER OR CB WAKE UP.YOU HAVE THE LARGEST VENUE ON THE WEST COAST AND ITS GOING TO WASTE. SO DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dave
    March 11, 2014 - 07:34

I phoned twice to order tickets but there was no one answering at the box office. All I got was a message that said I could order tickets online. I found out pretty soon on the website that I could not in fact order tickets online. A message at the top of the page said to order tickets call the box office. Absurd

• SayWhat
    March 10, 2014 - 23:59

I guess this could be the reason why Bryan Adams won't be playing in this back stabbing little hovel.

• sanQ
    March 10, 2014 - 23:47

This is clearly the result of whomever was in charge of promotion. People will always go to see a legend and a genius, if they actually know that he is playing there. But if tickets are too expensive, that may also be a factor. The prices for tickets these days is very difficult to cover. But I go every time I can to see the true legends of music before we have none left. This concert should be re-promoted.

• Typical
    March 10, 2014 - 21:28

Ridiculous, I did not this concert was happening until i saw the poster at the Pepsi centre on Friday. I've mentioned it to4 other people and they didn't know about it either. Obviously there is a lack of publicity here, not sure who is to blame, but it should have bee plastered all over the city and advertised In The papers more. Cat expect people to buy tickets to a concert they don't hear about until it's cancelled....

• Frusterated
    March 10, 2014 - 19:04

If this was properly promoted tickets would be sold. the managment of the Pepsi should be ashamed.

• Paul
    March 10, 2014 - 18:56

Way to go Corner Brook. Another musical legend you have turned your back on. Your loss. Make no wonder this town will likely not amount to much, so much for arts in this city.... Maybe Mayor Pender you can talk about this at your public meeting at the Pepsi Centre assuming any one attends.