Cold Water Cowboys star taking fame in stride

Jamie Bennett

Conway Caines, left, of the Discovery Channel series Cold Water Cowboys chats with Corner Brook’s Bob Denny during an appearence at Colemans at the Gardens Friday.

Despite being one of the stars of Cold Water Cowboys, Conway Caines insists he isn’t going to change.

The Port Saunders native, along with the crew aboard his father Rick’s boat the Seadoo, were featured during the Discovery Channel’s 10-episode run this season.

Although he’s taken some teasing from friends and occasionally gets recognized in public, Caines said his newfound notoriety isn’t likely to go to his head.

“I’m me whether I’m happy or I’m mad,” Caines said with a smile Friday prior to a promotional appearance at Colemans at the Garden in Corner Brook.

“If I got to go be somebody else for a TV show, then the TV show can leave.”

Viewers of the show had the chance to see the Seadoos crew struggle through the ups and downs of the unforgiving Newfoundland fishery.

It wasn’t always smooth sailing and with cameras constantly rolling, Caines said there was nowhere to hide during these stressful, difficult moments.

“The weirdest part of it all is seeing yourself when you’re frustrated,” he said. “When things happen you just can’t hide your frustrations because it’s a make-it or break-it industry to start with.”

Caines and his father fish nine species to make a go of it in the fishery.

Despite the naturally competitive environment, the show often showed fisherman, including Caines and company, pitching in to help a vessel in peril or to help mend another crew’s nets.

He said this camaraderie is something ingrained in Newfoundland fisherman.

“To me, that’s a Newfoundland thing to help your neighbour,” he said. “If you’re out fishing and somebody runs over your gear, you might shake your fist at him. But when you get back ashore, you’re all over in the store having a bottle of beer.

“As Newfoundlanders, we’re there to help each other out.”

Organizations: Discovery Channel

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Cold Water, Port Saunders Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• Pat
    May 28, 2014 - 00:33

I cannot even begin to imagine going to work and having someone yelling and swearing at me. Im sorry but I grew up with fisherman. Being frustrated is no excuse for treating people like garbage. Thats the problem people use being frustrated as an excuse, but guess what its mental abuse. Doesn't matter who you are or where your from. And no its not the way it is down here, I know im from down here too, its not the way it is. I soon would tell someone where they could go if they started yelling and swearing on me. That's not how people should be treated. Knowone gotta put up with that. If they quit and called human resources and told them why, the employer would soon find out thats not just way it is down here.

• Charlene Blake
    May 27, 2014 - 12:44

I love the show. However, Conway was one of the hardest to watch. The way he treated his crew is disgraceful. When he was left in charge, his ego put everything at risk. It may not be acting but I think he's a real show off. You don't see anyone else getting on the way he does. He's got the nerve to complain about the hardship of the fishery when he doesn't have enough responsibility to remember his cell phone for his dad to reach him when they get a call to go fishing. Then he finally crawls back to the boat drunk. Yeah your a real catch!

• Sherry Reid
    May 26, 2014 - 17:23

Love this show.Hope it comes back on.8

• Payne
    May 26, 2014 - 16:20

Hahaha Depends on what part of Newfoundland and Labrador you are from. Were he comes from swearing comes before non-swearing for the most part haahaha if you people don't like it don't watch it. As for the respect part. His father is respected very much, and just because he gets mad and frustrated and swears at him doesn't mean he doesn't love him or respect him. It is a normal thing here and without it we wouldn't be as truthfull as we are. Sometimes is can back fire when people who don't know them hear it, but you know what it him. I wouldn't change them for the world. At least he's telling him how he feels. I haven't watched many of the shows, waiting for it to come out on DVD. Love you Uncle and Cuz, and love what you are doing. xoxoxo

• chucknorriskicksass
    May 26, 2014 - 15:32

@DooD Safety is in place by paying 100% attention and looking out for each other at all cost. I bet any man on either boat is willing to dive over board and risk their life to save a crew member/s. Some people wear those inflatable life vest that deploy via a cord or by being submerged in water.

• Dood
      May 28, 2014 - 17:26

Seriously? what about regulations? I have to follow them at my work place.

• yvonne crocker
    May 26, 2014 - 13:51

on Friday I drove from trout river to corner brook just to meet Conway I wasn't disappointed.as for his language my bird says worst.as for him changing don't you are perfect just the way you are .Conway made the show and Newfoundlanders should be proud of him..all the best Conway on this fishing season hope you are back next season.keep up the good work lets go fishing.

• Dave
    May 26, 2014 - 10:48

Excellent show....can't wait for the next season..! Shows the reality of trying to make a living on the sea and there is no BS or acting. It's all real.

• Karl
    May 25, 2014 - 13:59

It's like every other show on TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I love the show.

• Dood
    May 25, 2014 - 11:53

How are they getting away with all the safety violations?

• Danglewood
    May 25, 2014 - 10:33

My dear Lord people! At the beginning of the program there is a write up telling people about the language and graphic nature and viewer discretion is advised... Grow up, we finally have a program to show the true nature of one of our cultures, and it's fun natured people who make what they are doing fun for us all to watch, why so much negativity? Are Newfoundlanders so childish and paranoid that they can down people like Conway... Wow! Wow! Wow! Move on and get a life... I love the show and everything in it... Cannot wait for new season... Good job guys!

• Stig
    May 24, 2014 - 15:17

Conway was the star of the show, with the best...THE BEST...line I've heard on t.v. in a long time, reality or fiction. In summing up his profession, his innate wisdom shone through when he said: "I loves fishin'; I just hates all the misery that goes with it." Thanks, Conway. You gave us all a mantra to get through the hard days.

• Stig
    May 24, 2014 - 15:16

• Happily Retired
    May 24, 2014 - 13:11

After watching this show, I can hardly wonder why there are negative stereotypes and stupid "newfie jokes" about Newfoundlanders. These idiots and their fake frustrations and tensions are ridiculous Conway, please change.

• Pat
    May 24, 2014 - 11:16

I'm a fan of the show, but I feel it's a little disgraceful how a person can treat their father with such disrespect even on a tv show. Maybe it's acting but he needs to sit and watch his shows and look how he treats his Dad. I'm sorry he's a funny guy but I can't say he's learned that from being a Newfoundlander. I grew up in Newfoundland learning treat our elders ESPECIALLY my parents with respect. I'm sure knowone has told him about it but I heard numerous people comment on it. It's awesome that they got on this show, nice to see some people from Newfoundland actually make it but as a Newfoundlanders we don't want to be portrayed as people who verbally abuse our parents. Sorry that's my opinion, Conway you need to treat your Dad as its the last time you will ever see him everyday, knowone knows when we have to face that time!

• Kevin Power
    May 24, 2014 - 09:25

I love the show and the hard working people who make a living on the sea. This is my definition of reality TV and it is as real as it gets.

• Gloria Young
    May 24, 2014 - 08:31

I watched the show last season & for the most part enjoyed it but was DISGUSTED with all the cursing,swearing & foul language -at times having to use the mute button-not a nice image of Newfoundlanders,for anyone viewing outside our Province!!

• Brad Rideout
      May 24, 2014 - 12:01

That's what real people are like when they are passionate about what they do. It's not just a Newfoundlander thing.